Hot times on Gray's Creek | SouthernPaddler.com

Hot times on Gray's Creek

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Whheeewwww! HOT, I tell you. Forgot just how hot South La. can be, especially when ya can't duck into the A/C to cool off several times a day. I think Piper and I were ringing wet from Saturday morning until this morning. We had a nice thundershower about 3:30 Saturday afternoon. It lasted about 40 minutes. Here's Piper trying to outrun it. Looked a lot worse than the picture. Lightning cracking and thunder rumbling.

keithclouds.jpg

Piper brought a tarp for the last 3 camping trips and never got to use it, but he put it to good use this trip.

tarprain.jpg

Piper broke out the Dutch oven for a little treat of cornbread drizzled with honey.

cornbread.jpg

This was just a tease for the great supper he made us later that first evening.

100_0950.jpg

More to come. I'll let Piper share some details.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I was amazed at how much stuff you can get in a kayak. This is my version of "packing light" according to piper. The only thing not shown is a fold up chair with armrest bungeed on the back deck.

100_0964.jpg

islandpiper

Here's the Palace:

DSCF0194.jpg

And here is where the cook sleeps:

DSCF0198.jpg

The perimeter security force:

DSCF0204.jpg

Just a little snack to tide us over:

DSCF0224.jpg

The dishwashing department:

DSCF0231.jpg

Pretty pictures:

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

Click on this one:

Great time. Pretty hot. No bugs though. Also no fish. The water was just about HOT. Ate pretty good and slept well, too. Joey's a great camping partner. The FIRST NEEDS water purifier got a good workout as we went through lots of plain water to combat the heat. The DO came through again as did several little alcohol stoves. We probably burned as much as we drank, should go back out and fix that ratio sometime. Oh, and Joey caught me piping one phrase over and over to fix a flaw....gimme a break.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ok, piper, I took the clip out. I'll get a better one some time.

Re: bugs.. Very puzzling. 90 degree heat, rain a couple of times a week, standing water 10 feet from our campfire and almost NO mosquitoes. We're talking prime skeeter habitat and we were able to sit out as darkness fell and had maybe one or two mosquitos buzzing around in an HOUR. Not complaining , mind you, just puzzling.

Here's piper, playing to the gods of the water.

100_0952.jpg

Chicken with cornbread dressing and potatoes with onions. Last night's supper. MMM Good. Piper reached into his grab bag of take out condiment packets to season the chicken--- mild taco sauce, honey mustard, hot sauce, etc. etc.

100_0961.jpg

Had a visitor that took up temporary residence under piper's pirogue.

100_0957.jpg

Piper took a ride in the Swamper and gave his stamp of approval.

100_0959.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's thanks for the trip report and it sure is nice being here in the A/C reading about your trip. It really looked warm judging from the wetness of Joey's shirt and all the water running off that tarp.

You did have some good looking meals and I imagine they even tasted better then they looked. I can understand why there were no bugs , with the camp defense you had no self respecting bug would try in invade your campsite and get shot. :D

The Swamper looks good on the water and appears to be a easy and fun paddling boat while taking a lot of gear. Judging from Pipers picture he has lost a lot of weight but probably gained a lot back with the meals you enjoyed.

Chuck.......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper San and Joey San, good to see you two hard working guys get some time in the woods to enjoy yourselves. Fishing, eating, cooking, eating, shooting, eating, drinking beer, eating, etc. etc.

You two make a good team. Both knowledgeable, (and no one else wants to camp with either of you anyway. :wink: )

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
oldsparkey said:
Judging from Pipers picture he has lost a lot of weight but probably gained a lot back with the meals you enjoyed.

Chuck.......

Chuck, I was thinking how much water I drank this weekend. I'm figuring over 2 gallons-- that's almost 20 lbs of water! Even with that and all of Piper's good cooking , I still lost about 3 lbs.

Joey

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
islandpiper said:
Just a little snack to tide us over:

DSCF0224.jpg
Are you kidding me? :shock: I just had to wipe up the drool off my keyboard.

Looks like yall two did it up right. I swear, one of these days, I'll join you. Just make sure you work on that menu some more before I tag along. I don't want to go home hungry. :roll:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Great post guys. Looks like fun all around. Joey it looks like your boat is working out great for you. Any new thoughts about the boat after this trip? Piper's cooking looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this trip.

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Beekeeper, the boat DID work out well. Probably could do a 3-4 day trip even carrying 1 gal per day of water. About the only thing I would maybe do different is cut the rear hatch to fit a medium sized ice chest. Ice cold liquids are worth their weight in gold when its 95 degrees out.

It's a welcome challenge to see how much stuff you can get in a kayak. Shape and bulk becomes more important than weight when cramming your camping gear into narrow areas. Unless you're carrying horse shoeing equipment, you'll likely run out of room before you run out of draft.

One handy thing I found. I left several inches between the rear bulkhead and the spot where I figured the back of my chair would sit. It's a very handy spot for your water bottle, small tackle box , small ice chest, etc. I could probably fit 3 one gallon water jugs across in that area. Most kayaks I see have the backband very close to the bulkhead, leaving very little useful room.