HOMETOWN USA | SouthernPaddler.com

HOMETOWN USA

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mason, Michigan, the town where Mason Jewett Airfield KTEW is located, is the county seat of Ingham County. There were political arguments, chicanary, and messes going on about 180 years ago about where the state capitol would be. It ended up in Lansing, which is also in Ingham County. Then, placement of the county seat became more heated. Mason got it.

Today, Mason claims itself to be the quintessential Hometown, USA. And, aye god it is. Now, I sincerely hope that there are hundreds, thousands of other towns that do a strong effort to also serve as nurturing environments for families as hometowns. But, frankly,in my travels, I don't see it. I truly hope that I'm wrong in that assessment.

This morning, the Memorial Day parade stepped off smartly at 09:00. I've written before about parades here. It's simple to get into it. Just show up at the parking lot of the high school, stand there, and when the parade marshall (someone you'll recognize from walking around town) shows up, just speak up and tell him/her that you're here to be in the parade. It's probably a good thing to point out that you thought ahead and brought at least half a deck of extra playing cards to stick into your spokes so they do that imitation machine gun chatter as you ride your freshly washed bike down mainstreet. And, mister? Can I please be AHEAD of the horses this year?

My measures of quality on these parades are the ratio of farm tractors compared to politicians. The local high school band leads off and sets the tone. Along behind are tractors (some towing manure spreaders), floats sponsored by many local organizations, more tractors, a sprinkling of politicians, kids on bicycles, a clown or two, more tractors, horses replete with riders serving as color guards (everybody UP!. Salute our flag as she goes by. "Order ARMS"

We missed this morning's parade. We pulled into town about an hour behind it. Everything was so cleaned up that no trace of the event remained. After all, an American hometown is not only friendly and patriotic, it is also clean and tidy.

hairymick01

Jack, that was a real nice story mate,
. Thanks for sharing it.

I just took the liberty of Googling Mason. With a population of only around 8,000 souls , it could well be any major regional town here in Australia. Likewise, in any of those towns, during a parade, there are a lot of tractors pulling floats etc. I think "Hometown" means something different to each of us but the result is the same.

I think for those unlucky enough to have been born and raised in a city, let alone a big city, they are really missing out on something good and wholesome. A bloody shame.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I certainly agree with you on large and small city/towns, Mick. Where I grew up, I had to be choosey where I aimed the .22, but could safely pick off crows or starlings in several directions. 100 yards out was hunting territory for small game. 1/2 mile out was hunting for deer.

And then - I discovered girls and motorbikes. Life hasn't been the same since.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Today, Mason claims itself to be the quintessential Hometown, USA. And, aye god it is. Now, I sincerely hope that there are hundreds, thousands of other towns that do a strong effort to also serve as nurturing environments for families as hometowns. But, frankly,in my travels, I don't see it. I truly hope that I'm wrong in that assessment.

They say ....Beauty is in the eye of the beholder , I like to think hometown , beauty , is in each person living there no matter where that hometown might be.

Chuck.
PS. There's no place like home. :D

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
hairymick01 said:
...in any of those towns, during a parade, there are a lot of tractors pulling floats etc...

Being a rural farm area and home of the annual WNY Dairy Fest, our closet village, Springville, usually has more tractors than politians in the local parades. And our local high school, Griffith Institute, even sponsors "Drive Your Tractor to School" day. It's 8) cool 8) to drive past the school and see 40-50 tractors of various makes, model, size and age setting on the schools front lawn.

Jon

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mason has a festival of some kind every month from spring right on through late fall. And - ice cream directly across from the courthouse. Sometimes, there are mini-festivals in between. And, farmers' market every Saturday. And ice cream across from the court house.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Kayak Jack said:
Mason has a festival of some kind every month from spring right on through late fall. And - ice cream directly across from the courthouse. Sometimes, there are mini-festivals in between. And, farmers' market every Saturday. And ice cream across from the court house.

Do I sense an ice cream theme here :mrgreen: ?