Homemade John Boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Homemade John Boat

Riverman

Jan 23, 2011
Southeast
This is a serious boat building question... :)

I'm an old guy and simply can not use any boat that resembles a canoe. I've flipped one several times and am scared of them in fast water, to put it plainly.

I have my nice cypress, white oak and marine plywood in hand and ready to build a boat that I can use while river fishing.

The boat I like best is an old-timey paddle john boat... maybe 16' long, with 14" sides, 36" wide at the middle and around 24" on each end. I could paddle it from the transom, guide it with short oars from the middle in a flowing river or even use a small trolling motor on it if I wanted to some day.

My question is do you think 36" (bottom width) is too wide in the middle? I prefer stability over speed, all within reason. I do not want a tippy boat though.

Here's a sample of the old fashioned boat that I want to build.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Re: Ozark John Boat

I'd bet that Tick and Keith are the ones to answer this. BUT, I don't think 36" is to wide at all if you are looking for stability.

Comfort is what YOU want it to be. To me, it sounds as if you have a plan of what you want.

Is this, to steal a phrase, By hand and by eye, or do you have a set of plans ?

EDIT: If ya gots $12.00 go here... http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... 1%26y%3D12

Riverman

Jan 23, 2011
Southeast
Re: Ozark John Boat

My friend has a sawmill with lots of cypress and oak lumber. I'll just cobble up something and see if it floats right, if not I'll start over.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Beauty and function are always in the eye of the beholder

a 3' wide bateau (jon boat) is plenty stable for most of what folks want to do, probably too narrow for running big hoop nets or catching gators

IMHO 16' long is a bit long for for the 3' width, paddling won't be a lot of fun either, but a motor sure makes life easy

check out aluminum bateaus and their dimensions at your local sporting goods stores or on the internet

a 3' width is usually in the 12' range and a 4' width is more in the 16' range

since you've got ready access to lumber, build away. I know some folks that have built a half dozen boats and they're still tweaking the design :D

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
If you don't want to use a motor, could you consider oars instead of paddling? Oars allow a wider boat to be practical.

GB