Homemade Boat Rack for Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

Homemade Boat Rack for Pirogue

PascMS

Sep 9, 2011
Hi, I am new to this forum. This is a great site with lots of information. I am going to buy one of the UJ kits and build a pirogue. I am thinking about how I can get it out to the marsh, launch it, and explore the little ditches that go into the marsh. I know that they make racks out of metal tubes, but I do not have a welding machine. I have a 16' fiberglass center console and a 20' center console. I would like to build something to hold the pirogue that is portable and might could utilize the front and rear rod holders. Has anyone ever built anything like I am describing?

Thank you,
PascMS

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I think he wants to use the big boat to carry the pirogue to where he wants to use it. The rack would be on the big boat.

Mike

PascMS

Sep 9, 2011
Hi, Thank y'all for the reply. That is correct about wanting to have a rack for my bigger boat. I think I am just going to get the UJ built and just play it by ear. I have been thinking about what length that I was going to build. oldsparkey suggested that I stick with the 15' + length. I have never used a pirogue before, so I guess the longer it is the more stable it will be. I will also be carrying a 100 lb child with me sometimes.

Thank you,
PascMS

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Consider building two. One 15'+ long / 26" or so wide floor for you, and a smaller one that will nest inside it for the child, or as a loner / second choice for you. Pirogues can get crowded (overloaded) fast. The child will love it. The best boat I ever built was the one made for my grandson. :)

beekeeper

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
PascMS said:
Hi, Thank y'all for the reply. I have never used a pirogue before, so I guess the longer it is the more stable it will be. I will also be carrying a 100 lb child with me sometimes.

Thank you,
PascMS
A boat gets its stability from its width :!: Speed is length :!:
There are 2 ways that I see most people bringing along another boat. Towing or across the bow.
You must live in Pascagoula, MS. Welcome aboard.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
swampwood said:
PascMS said:
Hi, Thank y'all for the reply. I have never used a pirogue before, so I guess the longer it is the more stable it will be. I will also be carrying a 100 lb child with me sometimes.

Thank you,
PascMS
A boat gets its stability from its width :!: Speed is length :!:
There are 2 ways that I see most people bringing along another boat. Towing or across the bow.
You must live in Pascagoula, MS. Welcome aboard.

I have to disagree with the above statements, it is much more complicated than that , width efects speed ,a slimer boat is faster, hull shape effects speed,length up to a certain point effects speed ,flair of the sides , amount of rocker ,length of water line, all of these effect your speed.
Stability is effected by width hull design ,length ,and one that you dont hear mentioned much and is a really big factor is weight above the water line.
A good stable boat that is reasonable fast is a blend of all the above . That is why a proven design like the UJ or one of Matts designs is so important to building a good boat , a lot of expertise goes into these designs that never even cross our minds.
Sparky gave you some good advice.Welcome to the forum
Ron

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
One thing to consider. If your big boat is going to tow your small boats behind it, you really can't go faster than the "hull speed" of the smaller boat that is being towed behind.

Hull speed (in knots) being something like 1.4 times the square root of the boat length in feet. Hull speed is where you start getting a significant bow wave but you arent nearly at planning speed yet. And in my limited experience you sure as heck can't be going planning speed and be towing something behind you (perhaps besides skiers).

If you are willing to put put along, yeah, towing is great (and mostly when the tow boat isnt signifcantly longer than the boat being towed). Otherwise its not very practical.