Herbed Roast Pork Loin and Potatos | SouthernPaddler.com

Herbed Roast Pork Loin and Potatos

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Made this for Miz Yak after her weekend with her sisters. She was pleased as it was soooo good. Two thumbs up and four star fer sho! I'm cover'n up for some sins I may or may not have committed while she was gone for this long weekend... :roll:

Herbed Roast Pork Loin and Potatos
1 boneless pork loin roast, about 3 to 4 pounds
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
4 to 6 medium potatos
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 to 2 teaspoon freeze-dried or fresh chives
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
Rub pork loin with 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, then sprinkle with salt and pepper; place pork loin in a shallow roasting pan. Roast at 325° for 50 to 55 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel and quarter potatoees; cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain, let cool, and place potatoes in a large bowl; toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, chives, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Place potatos around pork loin; roast an additional 45 to 60 minutes, or until pork registers at least 155° on a thermometer.

Cover roast pork loin with foil and let stand for about 15 minutes before slicing.
Serves 8 to 10.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yak...

Sounds mighty good and the only thing I would want is some dressing to go with it and then some gravy made from those pan drippings .... "O" Boy would that take me back 50 or more years. :D

I'm going to have to do this between storms , like tomorrow. :lol: My roaster has vents on the ends , I guess not putting the lid on would surfice but have it on the drip tray so all the good stuff drops down to become gravy later on. Hell .. I will play it by ear........... It is an old roasting pad .... Older then me and a lot more used but not abused. :wink:

The wife is lazy and wants to do everything in the crock pot but I think the really good food comes from the roaster I have , nice and browned with all the good juices from the meat for the gravy. Besides the smell of it cooking will drive a normal person nut's. :lol:
Don't get me wrong a crock pot is good , most old lazy crocks use it , myself included .... but a roasting pan it way lot better , a whole lot better.

Chuck.
PS. The wife thinks hamburgers should be boiled in the pan , not fried... Now you know why I do the cooking. I cook , she watches the one eyed idiot box .... The TV. This way pup's , myself and the wife have tasty meals.... She would never dream of starting something cooking at 10 in the morning to have at 6 that evening ..... but she sure likes it when I do that. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
YAK....

You put the roast in the pad since it did not have a drip tray , ( I'm assuming the fat side down or was it up to brown and self bast the roast ) did you add any liquid to the pan at that time ... Water , Wine , Olive Oil or anything to keep it from sticking ?

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Spray the bottom of roaster with PAM and it won't stick. Don't need to add liquid. Do it just like the recipe calls for.
Didn't have any drippings......some damn fool licked them up before gravy was made! :roll:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I used a roasting pan in the oven Jackalis Cookus......Sprayed the roaster with Pam and it cleaned up easy. I cooked it longer than what the recipe called for.....kept it in long enough to get a nice brown crispy coating on the outside. Finger licking good.....

I think I'm changing the recipe name to Hurricane Hog. Mainly because I kept up with the hurricane news all weekend. I'm to take the Grandkids to the beach in NC September 12th and a good chance Josephine may decide to hit the coast by than. May have to make altenate plans and go West. Than I might name it Alternate Plan Pig? If I can't take them anywhere....I'll call it So Sorry Sow!
Can't reason with the hurricane season. :?

http://media.myfoxtampabay.com/myfoxhurricane/

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Picked up the boneless pork loin roast this morning... The butcher did not have one out in the showcase that I liked.
I'm standing there looking them over and the butcher walks up and asks what am I up to today. :lol: ( perfect timing and he should know better then to ask me that ) , after a small chat and explanation he got one out of the back room that is just right.
Last thing he told me was ... " Dam you Chuck , Now you made me hungry for a roast." He should of known better then to ask what I was up to by now , especially when I'm picking threw the meat selection. :roll:

Roasting pan is ready , now if the clock would just tick along I could get things smelling really good around here.
One modification , 1/4 cup of water in the pan and some Sage on the roast with the rest of the herbs.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
That sage sounds like a good idea too Kernel Chuckles....Lost Cuz'n to Kernel Sanders.

GARDEN 'MATERS!!!! MMMMMMMM!!! :p Picked our 'maters and have been having wonderful salads. Cut 'em up, drizzle EVO over them, a small splash of balsamic vinegar, thinly sliced sweet onion, minced garlic, sweet basil chopped fine, a shake of sea salt, black pepper. Toss it up and let it set for a short spell. Get a big hunk of Eyr-Tal-Yun bread and go to town! The juices for dipp'n Eye-Tal-Yun breaad are fantastic!
Ain't nuth'n like garden 'maters! Too bad they ain't around that long. :(

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK.... Yak...

Did it tonight , what a disaster. :roll:

Got the roast out of the pan , let it sit for a while and did some smashed ( herbal , with the same herbs in the potatoes ) to put the gravy over. YEP... Southern Gravy........ I cheated , used some water in the bottom of the pan to keep things moist , then basted the herbs on the top of the roast with a 1/4 cup of olive oil about every 45 minutes. Total of about 1/2 a cup to a shade more [ I like olive oil ] of the olive oil. I wanted some good stuff ( drippings ) to make gravy from which I was able to make to every one's enjoyment , the wife , me and even ole Pups. He does like my cooking. :roll:

I let it drip down into the pan with all of the juice from the pork roast and the herbs that were resting and simmering there slithered down but a lot stayed on the top . Two and 1/2 hours later took the roast out and set it on a plate.

Got a frying pan and threw all those nice juices in it , added some flour , salt an pepper and milk .... Made a gravy that Jarvis ( who ever that nut is ) would stand on his head to get a drop of.

Something no one can do in the crock pot , guess there is a reason they call it a CROCK POT. :lol: :lol: :lol: NO.. I will not even go there .... Others can. :oops:

Good chow comes from the oven , like they say ..... " There is nothing like the loving you get from the oven " ... How true that is. :D

I guess old Crocks come from using the Crock Pot. :roll: :lol: :lol: No idea why but that is the wife's way/ idea of cooking and even Ole Pup's will not eat it at times.
That dog is a connoisseur of good eating and likes mine a lot better then hers , me too. :wink:

Started this day with a lot of sausage in a milk gravy milk ( some Cayenne in there ) on biscuits along with some eggs and grits which pups really enjoyed the left overs , even with biscuits parts soaked in the gravy then ended up with a meal like this ..... Life is sweet. :D

Chuck.
Cooking is nothing more then some good imagination and taste... without those two it is McDonald's or a boiled meal in a crock pot. :twisted:
Yes , I do use one of them at times but the 98% of my cooking is or on the stove here at the house.... out camping it is cast iron. :D

Mohawk16

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Monroe, Fl.
www.flickr.com
Oldyaker,

My wife cooked up your recipe last night and all I can say is SHAZAM!!! She's been cooking for me for 38 years and she's a great cook but, it's always nice to try something a little different. Thanks, Jim :D :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When I do a large roast like that, I cut small slicing punctures down into the meat. I put garlic slivers (slivered garlic cloves) down into the slits. Lets the garlic get all through the meat.

I'll often marinate a roast after the slits have been put in. This lets the marinade into the meat too.

Another easy way is to put the garlic into the pork roast, and cover the roast with sweet marmalade (orange, peach are good). I the cook it in the crock pot on low for about 8 hours. Lots of nice juice for gravies or dipping bread.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Glad you enjoyed this recipe Hawk. It is a good one. As alway's, most recipes can be modified to suit individual taste.

Food is always enjoyed so much more in the company of friends and family. A piece of stale bread and sour wine is a feast when shared.....
The finest of food cannot be fully enjoyed when dining alone, it might as well be stale bread and sour wine......

All summer here at work, we have had a cookout on most Fridays.......
Frankfurters, Burgers, and we even had a couple of fish frys with walleye and yellow perch some of us caught in Erie. It was donations only dropped into a tin can.
Well, we collected enough money to have a full blown steak dinner for everyone this coming Friday right here at work.
Breaking bread together once in awhile seems to ease tension and brings smiles to one another in everyone here at work.