H20 Purification | SouthernPaddler.com

H20 Purification

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Talking to an old friend this evening. Talked about camping. I never heard of this.......If you take a container of water that is cloudy or not exactly clear......Take a small amount of alum like a quarter teaspoon and toss it in the water.....stir it around until it forms a glob and remove it...your water will be clear as the alum has removed the solids causing the cloudiness. Run the H20 threw the water sterilization unit of your choice and you'll some pretty good drinking water. Anyone else hear of this method?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
UMmmmmmm .... That was Oldyaker not me , remember I'm the southern , good looking one. Not the one up north that loves to shovel snow. Chuck.

Very true....very true my good man! I shovel snow.......Chuckles shovels and throws mass quantity's of BULL S#)T! :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
YAK...

Go back to your nap , all the geezers need to nap , guess that is why I never nap. :p Anyway I have a new shovel and there is a lot of brown stuff to toss around in the yard so the weeds will grow.
Lately the brown stuff has been adding up in the over sized container under this computer , almost to overflowing.

Chuckles.
I hate giving him a straight line to zap me with but we are here to help the handy capped. :lol:

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
oldsparkey said:
... the one up north that loves to shovel snow. Chuck.

Many of us northerners are here by choice (believe it or not) and actually do love the snow and the varied fun activities it provides. That said, I must say that I don't like shoveling snow, that's why I have a gigundous snow blower :D :D BTW we still have plenty of snow, think I'll go skiing tomorrow :lol:

From H2O purification to snow... did I just hijack a thread :?: :oops:

islandpiper

I bought some water tabs from a survival outfit, and they have the regular bug killers in them, PLUS some floculant, probably alum, to drop out all the loose solids. That apparently makes the bug killers work better.

OK, the big question, expecting a long tome by Kayak Jack on this one. What is the difference between the fancy-pants wilderness camping water purifiers and the gravity fed water units that are available to purify drinking water in the home.

I have both and carry the regular commercial one in the camper to make campground water taste better when necessary. If i remember correctly it cost about $20 and the filter units are $3-4 each.

piper

PS: Jack how are you coming with those freeze dried ice cubes?

islandpiper

Try it sometime. Use plain old kitchen grade alum from the grocery store. Stir it in and wait. Most of the available solids, like grit, dust, algae, protazoa, ameoba , etc will clump together and, if allowed to stand, will fall out and lay on the bottom. I uess if there are fewer solids in suspension then there are fewer places for the bad guys to hide. Further , if you are using a filter/purifier, it will last longer without changing it.
piper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I boil my water,guess I am old school are carry it with me. A couple tricks,the old timers on the river use to back up from the waters edge a few yards and dig a hole it will fill with water,it will be filtered threw yards of sand removing most of the solids
They claim you can do the same thing on the beach and be able to drink it because most of the salt is filtered out.not sure about that.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
They claim you can do the same thing on the beach and be able to drink it because most of the salt is filtered out.not sure about that.
Ron

You are right , the sailors from the old times would hit a beach over here and find some trees that did not like salt water. They would dig a hole next to them and wait till it filled in with good fresh water. Something I like to remember when paddling the Glades and 10,000 islands in case I ever run out of fresh water.

Chuck.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
tx river rat wrote:
Ron
Am pleased to see that written down. Never did hear of it being so, but remember years ago thinking I wonder if the water below the beach would be filtered of salt due to the sand. Of couse being me I never did get around to testing "MY" theory. :roll:
Cheers guys.
Regards John.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
i'm with you piper,

if they're getting fresh water, it's likely they're getting ground water and not sea water in that hole by the trees

if filtering thru a sandbed or other medium would work, they'd be no need for desalination plants

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The key to it is the ... Trees that don't like salt water... even if the area is surrounded with salt water. That is how they knew there was fresh water there. Remember this was something they did back in the 1700's when aboard wood sailing ships. Or a pirate who hunted the Spanish Treasure ships and had to hide in the backwaters of the Gulf of Mexico when not raiding.

Chuck.