Guys night rum shrimp | SouthernPaddler.com

Guys night rum shrimp

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
My wife used to get sick of me when we were first married and make me go hang out with my buddies at least one night a week (14 years later now she has an iPod and says it saves money if I just stay home). During that time a buddy of mine and I came up with our shrimp recipe, again this recipe came into play because we used what we had on hand.

Unknown poundage of shrimp peeled and deviened purchased from a lousiana fella on the side of the road that I had to trade with because my buddy couldn't understand a thing he said (spoke perfect English as far as I could tell)

Iron wok.

Two pounds grade a salted butter.
Captains Morgans original spiced rum.

Heat up the wok on high heat, melt in a couple sticks of butter, drop in a few pounds of shrimp, stir for a minute or two then dump in a cup or two of captain into the wok. Keep stiring. Cook till done (sorry I just know when shrimp are done if you don't bring 25lbs to my place and I will show you how to tell) anyway repeat this until all the shrimp are done, eating each batch while the next is cooking. Finish up with a almost frozen beer and John Wayne's Donavan's Reef.... Enjoy...

Richard

DeweyFord

Jul 1, 2011
That's a lot of butter but it sounds good. I like using rum on many of my meat dishes especially on the grill. I usually use a dark rum rather than a spiced rum. Have you tried adding a little cajun spices for some kick?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
There's a shrimp farm just down the road from me, and they sell fresh shrimp every Saturday morning at the Farmers' Market nearby. I'll try this. I like Lemonhart rum, and will try some different spices. THANKS!

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
islandpiper said:
Jack, a shrimp farm in michigan? or did you move ? and what the H3ll is a shrimp farm anyway? piper

Piper,
I think a shrimp farm is kinda like a chicken ranch. I did hear of a chicken ranch outside of Las Vegas. I guess they just let the chickens run wild. :wink:
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I haven't visited the shrimp farm yet, but know it's there. I don't know how deep you plant them, or how often to water. But I think a 10-10-10 fertilizer will work.

Seriously, Piper San, there really is a shrimp farm here. I imagine they use either tanks of ponds of salt water. Who'd-a-thunk-it?