Glassed in bench seats for UJ's Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

Glassed in bench seats for UJ's Pirogue

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
I'm starting to put together everything I need for UJ's pirogue. It should end up just less tha 16' and I ordered the 4th rib kit to make it more stable as it will be for my kids. I would like to put in a couple of bench seats, glassed onto the sides and bottom -- has anyone done this?

Just wondering what dimension wood to use, where to place them, and any other tips you can give. I know it will add a little bit of weight, but I'm also concerned about stability. Thanks in advance, Spike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
spikec said:
Just wondering what dimension wood to use, where to place them, and any other tips you can give. I know it will add a little bit of weight, but I'm also concerned about stability. Thanks in advance, Spike

If you are making it for your kids ( What age and swimming ability's )
The seat can be where ever you want it ..... The higher it is the less stability in the boat , the lower then more stability. It is called the Center of Gravity. A adult males CG is higher then an adult female, not sure about kids ... I would guess the same till they get older.

The 4th rib will give the pirogue more stability then just the standard three rib one. Some friends of mine have made them with the 4th rib and they stand in they when sight fishing , something I would not want to do in the standard three rib one. Unless I wanted to go swimming. :D

I would suggest making the pirogue , let the kids try it without any seats ( they are younger ..DUH... and a darn site more flexible then the rest of us) and then later (when you are with them , swimming next to it , NOT IN IT , see how the boat floats with them in there and then decide on the seats)

1st you need to get it made , then let them have some fun ..... Seats can be added anytime , who knows they might like it without them. Kid's .. What can you say. :roll: Us old goats like the comfortable seats with a back rest . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.......
PS... By the way welcome to the NUT HOUSE.... Commonly called southernpaddler.

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
My oldest (17) suggested adding a bench seat with a hinged top so he can keep fishing gear, etc. in it. The girls (12)are well, girls, so I'm guessing they'll bitch about not having a comfortable seat...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have been busier since retiring then when I was working , but who really works at a government job , it is sort of like early retirement without being retired
Now I am doing what I enjoy and not what someone else wants done , except for the things the wife dreams up for me to do. The way to get around that is to go camping , fishing , anything away from the house. :lol:

Chuck.