Gator Skiff | SouthernPaddler.com

Gator Skiff

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The first boat I built was a "Gator Boats" Croc model skiff. This is their smaller version "Gator" model.
My goals were to build by the plans to see how long it would take, and if any "improvements" could be made.

6/02/21
2hrs. cutting chine logs, gunnels, etc.
3 " marking, cutting and trying to fit floor to the logs
IMG_5100.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
First lesson learned was; If you are building with plans, follow them. I cut the chine logs shaped and sized the way I normally do them. They did not want to bend around the shape of the floor. The boat's floor beam is 30" and is only 10' long. Plans called for ripping a 1" X 4" to make two logs. I did not have one so I did what I usually do and cut them from a two by something board. Had to redo that. The chine log on the left is sized according to plans. Mine is on the right.
IMG_5102.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
6/03/21
6 hrs. cutting the chine logs again and attaching them to the floor. Easy, once I followed the directions.
IMG_5103.JPG
IMG_5105.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Another lesson learned; Made the side rails 1/2" thick not 3/4" liked the plans called for = not stiff enough. Added a top rail/cap and that corrected the problem.

6/15/21
61 hrs. total invested and the boat and seat are finished.

IMG_5177.JPG

Seat made from scrap plywood. Not pretty but cheap and it will work.
IMG_5153.JPG

Last edited:

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
The first boat I built was a "Gator Boats" Croc model skiff. This is their smaller version "Gator" model.
My goals were to build by the plans to see how long it would take, and if any "improvements" could be made.

6/02/21
2hrs. cutting chine logs, gunnels, etc.
3 " marking, cutting and trying to fit floor to the logs
View attachment 1574
Bee I hope that that's iced coffee.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Coffee was hot. Ice is for tea. :rolleyes:

Thanks Andy for the plans. I enjoyed the build and relearned some things.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I recently got a compliment on this boat, or I took it as one. The 14 yr. old owner's Dad told me with the approach of hurricane Idea the boy did not want the boat to blow away so he brought it inside to his room. I'm glad he thought enough of the boat to care. I'm also glad he did because it probably would have blown away.

Last edited:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Kind of a clumsy project, moving a fishing boat into and through a house. I’ll bet that Mom was scurrying along ahead, setting vases etc well back out of the way. I’d take it as a compliment. The young guy obviously loves that boat. Does he have a dog too?

A boat, a dog, and a bike - what more could a 14 year old want??!!