Freedom shakedown cruise | SouthernPaddler.com

Freedom shakedown cruise

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I finally got a break in the weather , all the rivers and stream close are flood stage so I went back to the lake. The wind was blowing about five miles an hour so behind the dam was pretty slick.
I love the flat bottom it is very stable getting in and out and also the big cockpit helps that.
IM001227-1.jpg

My thoughts on this boat
she is as stable as my 32 inch wide Heritage gets up to cruise really easy
and moves pretty well
I took a gps with me and had it up to 4.5 miles an hour paddling hard.
3.5 to 3.75 was just cruising so you can cover some miles if you want to,
And that was with a cheap paddle 20.00 at academy also I haven't been yaking very long so I am sure a good paddler would do a lot better. Three miles an hour was just playing.
With my 215 lbs in her she still pulls very little water from what I could tel about three inches.
IM001229.jpg

I paddled about five miles playing she just a pleasure to paddle after the plastic boats. I tried two different seats
IM001293.jpg

IM001294.jpg

They both worked well the plastic one was sure nice to lean back into and rest and it was about an inch taller.
I am going to break this here so doesn't get to long
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
On the handling she turns easy just go a little wide on a stroke are two and tracks very well even in crosswind ( I was a little concerned she wouldn't with the flat bottom)

IM001290.jpg

She has plenty storage and carrying capacity for what I want and draws a crowd when you unload her

IM001312.jpg

I am well pleased with her and plan a lot of trips in the future.
Ron
A Happy Yaker

IM001315-1.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron

She's a good boat for having a lot of fun in , as you have noticed. There is something about a wood boat that always draws some looks or stares from the folks in the area. Something a plastic boat can't do.
When you start doing some tripping an camping you should also be plesentely surprised about the amount of gear you can pack in her and still have a easy paddle.

The gray , high back seat , should not make any difference when paddling except for more comfort. When the rivers calm down we will be looking for some trip reports and pictures , Bear likes the pictures since he has a hard time reading (when he forgets his glasses) and just squints a lot. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
When the rivers calm down we will be looking for some trip reports and pictures , Bear likes the pictures since he has a hard time reading (when he forgets his glasses) and just squints a lot.
Mister High Sheriff,

I like pichurs cuz they dont leave the door wide open fer a BS artist....like a few fellas here at Ole Spare Key's Cafe. I like that sideways grain on that boat. Looks like that lake iz way up above normal.

Ron looks mitey familiar........if he didnt live in the Lonesome Star state, I'd a bet a dollar he wuz Mac's parole officer. Looks a bit like Swampy too. [Lord I apologize fer that 'n bless all the little pygmies down ta Birmingham.] :roll: :roll: :roll:

regards 'n sincere apologies
bearridge

Hell boys, I'd a damn sight rather be hung by a bunch of friends than a bunch of damn strangers. Jake Spoon

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Rat,

Welcome to the home made wooden boat crew. Addicting, isn't it?

I usually use 3mph to figure my time-distance problems. Works good on lakes or rivers. I tend to drift a lot on rivers.

That is, unless Chuckie's reading the tide tables; then about 0.5 mph works better.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Rat,

That is, unless Chuckie's reading the tide tables; then about 0.5 mph works better.

Jack we were doing a good 3.5 mph when paddling out to Outhouse Key. The only problem is that the tide was coming in at 3 mph. I still can't believe that you and Yak never noticed such a minor thing , I thought you guys were observant.

Jezzzeeeeeee all you had to do was look down at some of the stuff floating past us , it was really moving which means that we were really scooting along. Watching your progress along the bank of the river never lets you know how fast you are paddling. :roll:

Then you did not notice that (Large) tour boat coming up on you when you took the shore break , have you had your eyes checked to see if you need glasses ????????? Judging from the laughter coming from the tour boat , I would say all of them had 20/20 vision.

Chuck.
Tide chart , I always that was how much detergent you have to add to the clothes when you wash them , it is right there on the back of the box.