Florida Pirogue/dory | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Florida Pirogue/dory

ZipSnipe

Jun 5, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida
Well I finally put it in the water. At first one of my wires to the trolling motor came out of its connector so I rigged that up and took her for a spin. And here are the results.
1) Outriggers are a must as someone pointed out my center of gravity is high

2) I am not digging my trolling motor however it did have that rigged wire so I have to correct that and then try it out again.

3) Steering needs to be touched up. It was really squirly which means I had way to much rocker however the outriggers should help fix this.

4) I registered it but I should have waited until after my test drive becuz it will probably be a year before I can do the outriggers.

So I'll see you guys next year!!!

ZipSnipe

Jun 5, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida
Doh !!!!! Disaster has struck!! When I was building it one of the many areas I rushed was the front dry storage, while I sealed all the seams with epoxy/cloth the inside walls I left bare. I realized this after I enclosed it but figured it would be alright, after all its dry storage.

Now here's where the problem starts, I can only keep the boat in a little fenced in backyard behind my shop and it barely fits, but roof drainage spout pours right on top of the boat, now for heavy rains its been fine becuz I keep it pretty well covered but for the two torrential downpours we had over the past few months filled the boat up completely thus filling my not so dry dry storage.

Now the wood is rotting from the inside, I have reasoned a fix would be just add a few more layers of heavy cloth in the front and run my graphite coating up the front sides to cover up my mess.

Just thought I would keep ya posted, Merry Xmas all !!!!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You may want to run a trouble light in that bay for a few days to be sure it is really dry before you seal the wood? (Probably no need to use a yellow light this time of year, clear white will do nicely and no bugs will be attracted. )

ZipSnipe

Jun 5, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida
Oh the boat is sad!!! With the birth of our son I have neglected the boat and the front section where the dry storage is completely rotted.

So either I need to ditch it, maybe find another person who would take it off my hands and finish what I started.

I get compliments on it all the time but man it was a project that I should have waited til I was in a better position to finish it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dumb question here. Could you cut off the bad end of the boat, construct a replica, and patch it on? I know it's possible; is it practical in this instance? Or, would it be better to cut it off, up-end it, and make it into a bookcase?

wait a minute here. I missed the really important news in your post. Tell us about your new Son!

ZipSnipe

Jun 5, 2010
Daytona Beach, Florida
Well sold the boat to some kid. He was like a little tike at a toy store. He said he planned to finish the trimaran and put sails on it. Felt good to sell it to someone with some spark!!

Another guy called said he wanted to cut it up to use as furniture, I was like no way dude!!!!