Fisheating Creek | SouthernPaddler.com

Fisheating Creek

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
Last week, after a little front blew through, it seemed like a good time to get away for a while so I made a spur of the moment trip over to Fisheating Creek on the west side of Lake Okeechobee.

The water level has been very low for months, except for when Chuck and Mac were there, of course :wink:, so I wasn't sure how it would work out. The folks at the county park where you can put in said it was too low to go upstream, so I decided to go downstream where I was confident I could find a spot to camp late in the day. The following day I got a reasonably early start and decided to try going upstream, knowing I could always turn around a go back down, if necessary. As it turned out, I had to drag the canoe a few yards where the creek enters the lake upstream of the put in, then pole and paddle after that. Since the creek has a good, firm sand bottom in the shallow spots, poling against the current works better than paddling, anyway.

Went up a about three miles, then back down a little to a nice high spot (no cypress knees under the hammock :D ) where I hung out for a couple of days. The weather was great, low forties at night and about seventy for a daytime high and an almost full moon. Nice and quiet, no motors, no people, just owls, blue herons and some crows feasting on the armored catfish that had been killed by the cold a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't get much better.

For reference, the reading on the USGS gage at Palmdale was about 1.72' when I put in and about 1.62' when I took out. I wouln't want to try it at much lower water, although Brad (Swamprat) said he has made it at about 1.45'.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dam Joe , Wish you would of said something , I would of given it shot with you for a couple of days , just to get away for a while and enjoy your company. :D :D

Chuck.
PS.. Remember .. St ,Marys on the 28th of Feb to be there , on the water the 29th or is that the 1st of March........ Who cares the Monday after the Sunday of the 28th of Feb. :lol:

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
Chuck, I thought about calling you, but it was such a last minute thing I figured you wouldn't be able to get away. Should have called.

Regarding the St. Marys, I'll be there. What's the latest on where folks will be camping Sunday night?

What is the procedure for inserting photos into a post?

Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Heres what I have posted on the forum , Most folks like Photobucket. They have the web service to get the pictures on the web , will re size them for you so then all you do is list the jpg for the picture. I like the 500 x 350.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1033

When posting a picture , use the section where you would post something or reply to it , in the tool bar at the top of where you are typing you will see the ( Img ) click on it ( one time ) , it will appear where you type , copy the jpg file from photobucket and then paste the jpg file between the two img's and the picture will be there. It HAS to be a JPG file , none others will work on here.

This is what you will see on your screen .....

between them add the http:// http://www.whatever the code is jpg .... The img has to be touching each end of the jpg file , it is isn't then it will only work as a click on link. The img tells the computer it is a picture or Image.

Preview it to see if it is working correctly , if not then make sure they are touching the file ......

****************************************************************************************************************************************************
As far as the St,Marys , everyone will be between the Motels and Traders Hill , mostly depending on the weather , or where they want to stay.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Glad ya made it out Joe. Was your high spot a little island just below Lemon lake? I'll slow down sometime here and get out for a few days. Still exploring the upper creek here in Venus.
Dad sent me pictures yesterday from his SC house and his boats are covered in SNOW.