Finished the Buc | SouthernPaddler.com

Finished the Buc

A

Anonymous

i took a few liberties with the original design mat and myself had worked on together. i bobbed off the bow as well as the stern , narrowed the beam considerable, and didnt fuss much with paint or anything. it came out a little heavier than i thought it would , but its unsinkable and really tough. i think it could come off the truck and get ran over and stuff , but still paddle as smoothe and slick as the day i first finished it.

i brought it out on a test paddle and chuck took the pictures for me.

all he kept saying was " uhhhh...."

but i think he liked it alot, cause i seen him smiling a bunch of times when he thought i wasnt lookin.

i emailed mat some pictures but he hasnt sent anything back or said one word to me. i hope he is ok . his computer must be broken or something.

im very happy with this boat . it gets alot of attention , people staring at me and pointing and stuff. one fella even asked me what it was, and when i told him it was a home made boat he said something like " you got to be kidding me" yup, he sure seemed impressed with what i had accomplished.

im thinking bout adding a cup holder after i git more experienced with all the jig saw cuttin and gluing stuff together. i have to get some southernpaddler.com stickers for it too. i asked chuck for some , but he said they ran out and he didnt know when they were getting more.

anyways, some fella chuck is good freinds with named cliff made the paddle. he even wrote a book bout it while we was working on it, i hear they sells em on the internet for $19.99 or something liek that. he seemed like a nice guy , but after he ate all the fruity pebbles caleb put him in a headlock and made him cry. he left an went home without saying good bye after that, but hopefully he will come back around to help out with my next project. ~allen

th_bucpic.bmp

---------

im just a pirate without ambition

A

Anonymous

Friend Matt,

Hiz address? Heck aint it clear he stays over ta the state hospital! :wink:

regards,

bearridge
shade tree medikle clinik

P.S. allen, when ya git out, let me 'er Tom know so we kin send ya a shade tree shingle fer ya door. If ya aint noticed, its some screwed up folks out there in need of a mental overhaul. I hear buildin' a real pirogue iz purty good therapy.....but next time burn out the insides. :wink:

I'm bout ready fer anuther tune up myownself. :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I don't know what Allen is smoking but it has to be some dangerous stuff.... Me run out of southernpaddler stickers .. NEVER... NO WAY....

Matt is going to beat both of us.. I bobbed off the tail on the Swamp Girl and shortened the nose of her also. Then dropped the sides a few inches and now you do the same thing to his latest design .... He will never trust a Florida boy to make anymore boats from his plans. :lol: :lol:

I think both of us are in some deep trouble......but what the heck we have never followed the crowd anyway.... what is that word... Yes.....
Independent :D
Chuck.

JEM

Chuck, some things you just come to accept. Besides, then I can create "Version 2" of the boats! :D

Stickers: I have a bunch now. Looks exactly like my logo plus has the web address underneath. Oval shaped. Turned out real nice.

I'll be sending some to everyone whose bought plans from me. I can mail some out to others if they really want them. Can't give too many away though.

A

Anonymous

in order to avoid a physical confrontation betwixt me and Matt involving cliffs handmade paddle... i has decided to begin anew on th buc!

i actually had the first set of panels cut two days after receiving the plans, then due to various influences ranging from work, to a river trip with a bunch of demure and contented pirates , those panels sat in my shop for a good spell without further attention.

i had crawled around on the floor marking those panels out with a tape and pencil , then propped them up on some 2x4's to make my cuts with this crusty ol thing i posses (which some folks refer to as a jig saw). a man of my many fine talents , amazing accomplishments and great social standing should not be crawling on any dern floor , them was not the cleanest cuts i have ever made for sure :(

i was able to salvage them almost to the point of respectability by taking a belt sander with fine grit paper and smoothing and fairing the edges down to the marks i had drawn. i said almost respectable...

i was faced with crawling around on the floor to use my templates for marking and cutting the second set of panels - when my two remaining brain cells bumped into each other and i had an idea :shock:

i set the sheet i was marking on my work bench, then took barbell plates and weighted the edge down to the bench . there was quite a bit of hang and droop taking place on the free end which i did not approve of , so i ran three 1x2's spaced evenly under the sheet to the far ends in order to support the hanging edge.

now i was standing up (!) and marking and cutting on a sheet that was at my chest level , what a difference....

i was able to slide the 1x2's further in or out, just enough to allow for clearance of my jig saw blade while still keeping my sheet from sagging or being bowed.

th_panelbench.bmp

speaking of jigsaw, i never have done much with them things up till now . i decided for the first set of panels id ride a little outside off my marks , then fair down to specs with a belt sander later on. good choice! my first few panels were cut all jagged and swerved around something fierce, thankfully i was better at sanding than running a jigsaw, but some of the edges on those panels still give you a shiver just like when you first see the bearded lady at the carnival :?

but now after getting some experience cutting a few panels , experimenting with what blades worked the best - and then getting set up where i wasnt crawling on the dern floor ( ! ) im able to follow a pencil line closely enough with the jigger that there isnt a trace of pencil lead left on either peice when i cut a line. go me 8)

too bad the first set of panels isnt 100% perfect , and all the experience came from making cuts that was ugly as a mud fence :evil:

th_panelnest.bmp

oh wells , i has got a stack of panels now that need gluing together and holes for stitching. epoxy is a critter these woods has never seen , and keep in mind this "boat" is merely a male plug for creating a female mold in order to laminate fiberglass hulls from. i has some polyester resins and heavy duty lay up cloth im thinking on using as backing for a butt joint on those panels. ill thin the resins out with acetone so it soaks into the wood a lil better and bonds the cloth to th wood. some advice , constructive criticism, taunting , mocking or derision is welcomed at this point for sure; as this appears to be my next adventure in...

" things i aint never done yet ! " ~ allen

----------

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
HOW TO make a boat from plywood:

Step 1: Start with whole, entire sheets of plywood.

Step 2: Cut them into pieces.

Step 3: Put them together again.

Kinda makes me wonder why they don't just grow boat-shaped trees to begin with.

JEM

A11en said:
some advice , constructive criticism, taunting , mocking or derision is welcomed at this point for sure; as this appears to be my next adventure in...

" things i aint never done yet ! " ~ allen

----------

You could always.....just follow the directions. :shock:

Plywood always cuts better with higher teeth-per-inch counts for the cutting blade.

A

Anonymous

its been a spell , but i was sidetracked for a few days when my motorcycle died and i had to track down an electrical problem . nothing more aggravating than the spaghetti that passes for wiring on a 34 yr old jap bike. except trying to locate the correct parts when you do finally figure out whats wrong :?

well i got the panels all butt blocked together. i used heavy lay up cloth for the inside blocks and some super light 2 oz for the exterior seams of the panels. i backed everything with wax paper so i didnt stick it to the shop floor. i laid another peice of wax paper over top , put a wooden block on there and set a 5 lb barbell plate on top of that to hold everything tight.

turned out real nice. a very clean and nice looking seam when i peeled that wax paper out of the way. 8)

ive heard noises about poly being hard to stick to wood , thats bull! get some good quality lay up resin . should have a consistency about that of sorhgum , and you can thin it even more with acetone. mix em about 85% resin , and 15% acetone and you have some super thin stuff that really soaks in good. then mix it to fire off slow with about 2/3 the amount of hardner you would normaly use with your resin and plan on letting it sit over night to fully cure - it sets into the wood real nice making a good bond.

th_100_0508.jpg

i built my jig frame and stitched the transom into the first couple panels , starting to look like ( gasp!) a boat!

th_100_0509.jpg

the more i work on this thing , the more respect i have for you fellas that can finish off a wooden boat to look so purty. at this point im very thankful that this is only a plug for making a mold and that i will be able to take great liberties with applying bodyfiller ( bondo!) and sanding and fairing to get the fine hull shape i been day dreaming about. ~allen

--------------

A

Anonymous

th_100_0511.jpg

nuh , my backs okie dokie . saw horses might make it a lil too tall for my boy to help out. its plenty high enough i aint crawling around on the floor so im happy

i fabricated us some custom made work stools just for this task. can see my brown work stool sitting next to his at the end of that thing kinda looks like a boat :D

~allen

-----