Favorite around the campfire book... | SouthernPaddler.com

Favorite around the campfire book...

It's become somewhat of a tradition to read a book out loud around the fire on our trips. Was wondering if other groups do this and what books they read?

Our books of choice are anything from Patrick McManus....."They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?"

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Naw........I've paddled with a number of these scoundrels........No culture here...They pretty much drink and tell lies to one another. Bunch of low life's....Every dang one of them! :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Naw........I've paddled with a number of these scoundrels........No culture here...They pretty much drink and tell lies to one another. Bunch of low life's....Every dang one of them! :roll:

Oldyaker brings the Dago Red that corrupts us but makes the Boat Science really interesting around the campfire. Heck he even managed to get a Southern Cracker reciting a lot of passages from Shakespeare one night.:shock: . None of us knew Mac had that in him and it set all of us back , almost made us sober. :lol:
Another glass of Dago Red and he shut up and reverted back to normal , what ever normal is for him but we understood.

Beware of Italians bearing and poring out the vino for you , but enjoy it as long as you can. We sleep good at night and I think all of us were actually in our tents. :wink:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BWC Paddler, about the only books we read around the fire are my Granddaughter's story books. I have to have her explain them to me; too deep. McManus is a saint, no doubt. Even his cookbook is funny.

Most of my campfire time is spent swapping tall tales, sipping either wine (Chateau de Cardboard, Red Zinfandel) or single malt, enjoying a cheap seegar, and wandering off into the bush to water trees and any stray wandering wildlife that may be in the area. Old Yaker (Yakus Stumbleicus) can testify that all my tall tales are copulatingly true, sphinctorially speaking.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm willing to bet that the tales and stories told round a fire haven't changed all that much in over 100,000 years or so. The technology talked about would be the biggest change. Hunters and paddlers antics, along with hopes and dreams, are still pretty much the same, I'd bet.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack... Just between you and I , mine are normally Hazel at the low ( Well Flushed) level....Not sure about the rest of the crew on here since all we can see , looking at them when camping and paddling together or at meetings with a lot of good eats ....is Brown..... :roll:
Jezeeeeeeeee , I had someone who has keep an eye on us over the past years ( not a member but a good friend ) in communication with me ...... Actually tell me ( Just Recently ) that we have a really good crew on here. Boy do we have him fooled.

The happy part of his personal observations is I have to agree with him on that. Folks do like others who are having a good time and it rubs off on others who want to do the same. Might call us the good time ambassadors of the paddling and boat building world. OK.. The BS artists of having some fun , which we do. :D

Chuck. ( A Thank You to John Depa for telling me about this book) :D
PS.... OK , Back to campfire books for those who can read and not just look at the pictures in the books. Might want to try Robb White's Book...." Flotsam and Jetsam" A lot of short essays /articles written over a life time of messing about in boats. He was a southern Georgia , northern Florida cracker ( Now Deceased) who wrote in the down home style. He refers to himself as a serious boat builder with 40 years of experience in the business.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
oldsparkey said:
Might want to try Robb White's Book...." Flotsam and Jetsam" A lot of short essays /articles written over a life time of messing about in boats.
I'll have to look up a copy of that one. I do have a copy of How to Build a Tin Canoe which is also a lot of short articles. My copy, I bought used, but in like new condition, and it was signed by Robb. A few of his stories are on his website. http://www.robbwhite.com/