Easiest build | SouthernPaddler.com

Easiest build

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
I'm nearing completion of my uj pirogue. My first build. I want a kayak next. Something simple to start with. A step up from the pirogue if you will. I'm not picky about style but no SOT,s. What do ya think? How's the laker or freedom series boats as far as difficulty?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You completed the pirogue and if you want a good kayak .... then get with Matt and get the Freedom from him. It is about the same construction but a little more involved and a good one to learn from.

I built the very 1st one as a try this and see what you think before it is posted or anything is said about it on his web site...... It and I made a lot of trips together , both salt water and fresh for a 5 night 6 day trip. Made some suggestions to Matt on what might make it better and he made the changes.

Now a trusted friend of mine has it and they ( she and her husband ) are having a good time with it. He made a boat for his use to be able to go paddling with her , she told him it is hers. :lol:

The Freedom I made was the 15 1/2 one and it worked really good for me and for my friends who have it at this time.

I would suggest the full length Freedom , it is one really great kayak .......... Not picking on the Lakers since they are a good boat's but I have never made one , just personal preference on my part. The final choice is yours since it would be your boat. :D

Chuck.
PS. Anyone who has paddled it thinks the same.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Oh boy come on Chuck go to your corner and come out at the bell. :lol:
The Freedom is a great boat ,I built the second in the series,buttttttttttttttttttttttttttt I also built the T-v and will have to say for an all around yak,she is still my favorite.
It is actually easier than the Freedom ,less seams.
I will say this you wont go wrong with both of these boats.
They are both fine machines.
Ron
Hey Chuck no head butting

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Let the games begin. Now this is the kind of debate I was looking for. Anyone else care to weigh in? Let the easiest yak win. Thanks for the info guys.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Who makes the T-v? This is getting good. Wait let me get my popcorn. I'm stuck on this boat for the next four days so keep em coming.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt
designed all three
Bye ease of build. Laker would be the easiest because it is symmetrical
T-v is next it is asymmetrical and has tumble homs.
Freedom the most complicated
Stability
T-V and Freedom very close
Laker is a distant third here but she is 2 inches slimmer
Speed
Laker because of narrower beam
T-V very close behind the Laker
Freedom
Turning and handleing T-V is supreme

I have all three boats and like I said the T-V is close to the top in all three catagories ,my best all around boat
Freedom is a Cadillac very well mannered
Laker is more performance orinated slimmer ,and as Mick says lively
T-V just does it all
Ron
PS the T-V Matt has listed is open topped,he has a set of deck drawings for it..

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I guess Ron is saying the Freedom is a geezer boat by being a Cadillac , I would have to agree since I am a geezer and it is just a sweet boat to paddle. :wink:

The one I made , the 1st Freedom to be made. .
freedom%20078.jpg

Here is a quick link to Matt's web sight about the Lakers if you haven't been there. http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

Micks , Laker 14........
MAIDENVOYAGEOFTHELAKER097640x480.jpg

The TV is in the pirogue section on Matts web site .........Here is what it looks like without the top on it.
TTV.JPG

Scroll down , they are the last 2 on there. One narrow one ( the original ) and one wider one.
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/PirogueCompare.php

Not to ...SCARE YOU... , Ron paddling his modified one.
brazo%20011.jpg

It can be done the way you want it and as you can see it will take everything on a trip except the kitchen sink. I still think Ron had one in there since he never really unpacked it all the way while we were camping. :wink:

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks sparky. Yeah I looked all over matts page for a kayak called T-v? Duh! Not a kayak. I really like the look of the T-v. Looks very practical. I'm just about sold on the laker though. That thing is sexy. I could see the wife in one those. She'll prolly paint it some foo foo colors though.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bently said:
Thanks sparky. Yeah I looked all over matts page for a kayak called T-v? Duh! Not a kayak. I really like the look of the T-v. Looks very practical. I'm just about sold on the laker though. That thing is sexy. I could see the wife in one those. She'll prolly paint it some foo foo colors though.

When I was making the prototype of the Freedom and had it completed , I got a little ( Not a lot) of nuts in Photoshop to see what it might look like painted......

freedom-064.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: Drove Matt nut's since he was thinking I would do it. Darn , I still like it even if I did not do it. I guess it was the Sharks teeth missing where the red is on the lower part of the bow. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. I enjoy the wood tones for my boats since they are wood. We may not be sane or normal but we do have some fun.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Hey Ron, do you have anymore pics of your laker? They are all beautiful but that thing is the cats a@&! I really like the overall look. That T-v is an interesting beast. I'd say it's been slightly modified? You van post on here or my email address is [email protected]. Thanks Bently.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
My first thought was " did Richard simmons take up kayaking?". I can't wait for the next video.. Kayaking to the oldies.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
What would be interesting is seeing what kinda boat Matt would build. Can ya make a yak with a 48" bottom? Maybe I'm on to something? Kayaking to the oldies weight loss class.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Too bad they cleaned up the Cuyahoga, aka "The river that caught fire". That paint scheme would blend right in with the oil slicks! Maybe you could patent it as "Exxon Camouflage".

oldsparkey said:
freedom-064.jpg

Chuck.
PS. I enjoy the wood tones for my boats since they are wood. We may not be sane or normal but we do have some fun.