Drought & Recovery | SouthernPaddler.com

Drought & Recovery

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
For 10-20 years now, the Great Lakes have been low. Part of that, I think, is Chicago draining water out of the south end of Lake Michigan, rather than let it flow north and all through the system. Additionally, tales of "dry weather", drought, etc. have been bandied about.

A recent snow storm dropped 5-6" of snow all over the Great Lakes area, and that's a helluva lot of water. On an average (averages are made of from extremes), 10" of snow yields an inch of water. Kind of snow is a variable there, of course. So, 0.6" of water over that many square miles is a lot of acre/feet of water (an acre of water, 1" deep). It may help raise a Great Lake a bit, but mainly it will help corn farmers, I expect.

Corn has many uses. One of which is alcohol in our gasoline. That is a foolish process because it takes more energy to raise a gallon of corn based alcohol than it produces back. Another use is gree-itz. My opinion of those are already well known. Another use for corn is to produce alcohol in a bottle. My opinion of THAT is also well known.

So, maybe 12-15 years from now, I'll get a chance to sip some of this snow in a much tastier way than merely going out and scooping up a handful. Except, it snowed on Michigan, and single malt scotch is made in Scotland. Maybe I need to start shipping water overseas. Piper San warned me that, "It's hard work, being a drunk!" sigh

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Hell, Mick, I don't know. Started out thinking of the snow, then its effects, and wandered off into single malt. Must've been one of my better days. I could have wandered off into canoes, women, and airplanes. I'd end here by saying, "Say goodnight, Gracie." But you wouldn't be familiar with that in Australia, I think. Hint: think of George Burns & Gracie Allen

While you're on the horn Mick, how's the flood recovery going down there?

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012
Jack

It snowed in the hills of the Scottish Highlands today. You'll be safe in 12 years.

hairymick01

G'day Jack.
Wer'e doing k thanks. A lot of areas are still without power and some small communities have been destroyedd utterly.

I sold my hoise and spent the time during the worst of it moving out. I was wet for three days lol. We had to do some "interesting' water crossings over flooded roads. Now, I love about 4 minutes walk from the beaxh Will be going for a little paddle in the morning. Its nearly 22.00 here. Stoll about 85 f, very humid. I am sitting on the back porch with some of your very lovely Jack Da :mrgreen: niels on ice. :mrgreen:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, the thick snow will be melted and rain is coming. Pre-spring rivulets will be flowing around here - and a bit of mud too, I guess. This is the time of year when, in some local parks, I've seen folks having a picnic, sitting next to a nearby lake with ice fishermen on it!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Around the Great Lakes area, February and March bring "seasonal" weather. That often means the weatherman just throws a dart at a weather map, and uses the strike area as a forecast. Freeze, thaw, rain, snow, wind, everything except a dust storm.
Icing conditions are out there now. Freezing rain, rain/snow mix, and other pleasant combinations prevail. Speaking of ice, I think I'll go get some and melt it - with some single malt scotch. Dreadful duty, but someone has to keep those distillery fellows employed.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Dohh! There was a strange, yellow ball up in the sky today! Whew! It's gone now. Back to ordering garden seeds.
(Anybody ever hear of "cranberry beans"? They look like a pinto bean, but the splotches are a deep pink instead of a tannish brown. My ancestors brought some over from Germany in the late 1800's. They grow easily, store well, and cook up nice. Go well with ham, onions, & garlic in a big cast iron pot.)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Another 1/2" of water (6" of snow) is out there now, to melt into the rivulets, streams, lakes, rivers, & oceans. Since all that stuff runs downstream and evaporates up into the air, I'll get to paddle through some of it, and fly through some.

If that water were on Wannabe's stand-up garden, he'd eat part of it in soup or salad. Sorry, Bob, I'm gonna play in it. :wink: