DeGrey Lake | SouthernPaddler.com

DeGrey Lake

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Just a mini trip but, a good one.

After chatting with Paul [Ozark] I signed up on his Pal Talk site. The site is mainly concerned with cooking rather than boats. I did find however, that everyone on there was very nice to a non cooking geezer.

There had been a “camping/cooking trip in the works and Paul invited me. Since the site was only 150 miles, I decided to go. I could only stay for one night but I needed a break and figured it was worth it.

So, after work Friday morning, I loaded up the truck and headed out for Lake GeGrey State Park just north of Arkadelphia, Ark. The lake, 13800 acres is in the foothills of the Ouachita Mts. It is a large and well maintained park complete with golf course, lodge, riding stable, marina and many camping sites. The sites range from yurts which are furnished tent over frame permanent set ups, fully equipped rv sites which have both electric and water and more primitive tent sites.

The lake itself is a mixture of open water with grassy coves. The shore is rocky there are a couple of sand beaches for the swimming crowd. Putting a boat in , one needs to be a bit cautious because of the rocks.

The lake water in clear with visibility down to six feet or so. I put my canoe in and paddled for about an hour but that was it. The rest of the time was spent meeting and talking to the other people there. I believe that the meeting and talking to the folks was an opportunity that everyone should take if it presents itself.

Putting faces to names, although in my case, I’ll probably not remember a lot of them, was a great
thing. You think you know someone from the interaction on the computer but, it adds so much when you
met them in person and get to know a bit about them.

The dinner the night I was there was Italian Sausage and Kielbasa on rolls. Most excellent I must say. As I
was packing to leave on Sat. There was a ham in one smoker and a brisket in another which were on the
menu for Sat night. [Damn it I missed it]

Breakfast was scrambles eggs, bacon, ham, potatoes/w/inions and of course coffee. Not realizing that
breakfast was a community affair, I had coffee and some scrambled eggs mixed with chorizo sausage
wrapped in a flour tortilla with some picante sauce to top it off.

Around oneish I had to leave. So ended a short but very nice trip. 2.5 hours later, I was back home got the truck unloaded and, unfortunately ready to go to work Sunday.

Loaded and ready to go
DeGreyLake-02.jpg

Arkansas welcome center. good place to take a break

DeGreyLake-03.jpg

Paul roughing it
DeGreyLake-16.jpg

View of the lake from campsite.

DeGreyLake-17.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The trip looked like it was a lot more fun then trying to resize the pictures. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One night of camping beats no nights of camping everytime , then the chow you had , WOW. Good thing it was not for a week or you would be on a diet. :roll:

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
It was fun having you there Richard, we'll have to get together again soon.

IMG_0492.jpg

here's one of the hole gang except you Richard

IMG_0537-1.jpg

see ya buddy
Paul