CROSMAN BENJAMIN TRAIL NP2 BENJAMIN TR NP2 177 | SouthernPaddler.com

CROSMAN BENJAMIN TRAIL NP2 BENJAMIN TR NP2 177

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well I used some of my Cabelas Points and picked me up a CROSMAN BENJAMIN TRAIL NP2 BENJAMIN TR NP2 177 from them.
8434592-420

Here is there description of it.....................................
Benjamin® Trail NP2 Air Rifle

Shoots .177 pellets up to 1,400 fps
Minimal vibration, noise and recoil
Durable synthetic stock for exceptional grip
Thumbhole offers a smooth trigger pull for increased accuracy

The Nitro Piston™ 2 system in the Benjamin Trail NP2 generates high velocity (up to 1,200 fps with the .22, up to 1,400 fps with the .177) and power (26 ft.-lbs. of energy with the .22, 21 ft.-lbs. with the .177), requires less cocking force and features an upgraded trigger, making this gun excellent for small-game hunting and recreational shooting alike. Also features technologies that minimize vibration and recoil for a more comfortable shooting experience. Integrated sound-suppression system makes the gun extremely quiet. All-weather synthetic stock has a rubber recoil pad and thumbhole for exceptional grip in any weather. Includes a CenterPoint 3-9x32 scope.
Cal: .22, .177.

I also ordered a Pellet pen for some easy reloading when shooting the rifle.
pellet-pen.jpg

There description of it.. Wanted it because the 177 pellet is tiny and sometimes hard to load.

Air Venturi pellet pen
.177 caliber, holds up to 20 pellets
Correct pellet orientation every time
Fastest loading & shooting
Maximum stealth while hunting
Holds 20 pellets
Load your gun even while wearing gloves
No fumbling with awkward pellet containers in the field
Designed for .177-cal breakbarrel air rifles and pistols
Any .177 pellet fits!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2pOTaqr_U

Load pellets head first. Pellet tins rattle, sometimes the lid comes off and you have to put your gun down to open them. The Pellet Pen is so much easier. Keep it in your pocket, pull it out and load a pellet. No fumbling. Easy to use, easy to carry.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Got the scope mounted today and with some luck will be out at the river in the next couple of days to sight it in and run some pellets threw it.
The 4.7gr alloy pellets are the ones that hit the 1,400 fps status and actually make a KRACK when fired since they break the sound barrier and make the bang , the rifle doesn't , just the speed of the pellet threw the air.
I will be using the Crosman 177 cal Lead 10.5 Magnum Deluxe Pellets and should have a speed of 1,150 fps and a lot quieter when fired.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is what they have to say about there rifle..................

Shoots .177 pellets up to 1,400 fps
Minimal vibration, noise and recoil
Durable synthetic stock for exceptional grip
Thumbhole offers a smooth trigger pull for increased accuracy

The Nitro Piston™ 2 system in the Benjamin Trail NP2 generates high velocity (up to 1,200 fps with the .22, up to 1,400 fps with the .177) and power (26 ft.-lbs. of energy with the .22, 21 ft.-lbs. with the .177), requires less cocking force and features an upgraded trigger, making this gun excellent for small-game hunting and recreational shooting alike. Also features technologies that minimize vibration and recoil for a more comfortable shooting experience. Integrated sound-suppression system makes the gun extremely quiet. All-weather synthetic stock has a rubber recoil pad and thumbhole for exceptional grip in any weather. Includes a CenterPoint 3-9x32 scope.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************** My thoughts............ The Benjamin TR NP2 in 177 cal is a hard hitting pellet gun. It tears up a target and the one I have is spot on. What you see in the cross hairs of the scope is exactly where it will deliver the pellet. It also delivers pure hell to any tree rats that are a pain in your posterior.

I have a Benjamin Pump , 177 cal and it will go up to 800 fps but the Benjamin TR NP2 goes at 1,400 fps. :D It is almost twice as fast and a lot quieter then the old pump up air rifle. Plus it is a lot easier to get off a 2nd shot if you wanted to.

In fact I like it enough that after the holidays I plan on getting a Benjamin TR NP2 in the 22 cal to have on hand for some small game hunting. I do not want to use a 177 on larger critters like the Raccoon's that are digging holes in my back yard and it would not be to swift to use a standard 22 long rifle round to kill them.Especially since I have neighbors all around me and a Elementary School. I believe the 22 air rifle would do a very sufficient job and be nice and quiet.
I have a Benjamin Pump , 22 cal but it only has a 685 per feet capacity , I like the 1,200 fps of the Benjamin TR NP2. The 22 cal Benjamin TR NP2 is my next one. Plus it is almost twice as fast as the old pump up on the fps of the pellet.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************
Stats taken from the web on the Benjamin Trail NP2..............
Features

15% faster and delivers more energy than original Trail series
Clean Break Trigger
Less Vibration and recoil
10 lb reduction in cocking force
Integrated sound suppression system
Centerpoint 3-9x32mm scope
Benjamin Trail break barrel air rifles are the first to feature the Nitro Piston 2 system featuring an upgraded powerplant and, enhanced Clean Break Trigger (CBT).

The Trail guns shoot 15% faster and deliver more energy with double the effective shooting range of the original Trail series. All in a smoother-shooting gun with less vibration, less recoil, and up to a 10-pound reduction in cocking force.

The Benjamin Trail rifles also include an integrated sound suppression system that makes the gun quieter than ever. Every gun is put together by American workers at the manufacturing headquarters in Bloomfield, New York.

It includes a CenterPoint 3-9 x 32 mm scope. The hardwood stock features a thumbhole configuration with rubber recoil pad.

Technical Information

Weight: 8.3 lbs
Overall Length: 46.25
Barrel Length: Not listed by manufacturer
Ammunition: Pellet
Magazine Capacity: Single Shot
Cocking Effort: 28 lbs
Trigger Pull: Not listed by manufacturer
Trigger Type: Two stage
Safety: Lever
Max Muzzle Velocity: 177: 1100 fps (lead), 1400 fps (alloy); 22: 900 fps (lead), 1200 fps (alloy)
Action: Break Barrel
Power Source: Nitro Piston
Barrel: Rifled
Scope: 3-9x32
Scope Mounted: No
Stock: Ambidextrous
Front Sight: none
Rear Sight: none

Note: Some break barrel action guns may be harder to break then others. It may take added force to break open the barrel for the first couple uses, after several uses, it will become easier. It is recommended to break it open, however not fully cock the gun, 10 times to loosen the barrel and make it easier for future use.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
oops I thought you bought one.
Ron

You read to fast or I failed to get the message out there...........
I went back and highlighted the ..........My thoughts......section......

I did get one , I got the 177 cal back in October of last year.

I plan on getting the 22 after the 1st of the year. That will let me have the 177 and the 22 in the Nitro rifles.

The 177 for plinking ( Targets and Cans ) in the back yard and the 22 for some small game hunting. The 177 took care of some pesky Tree Rats really well , head shots , but I prefer a 22 for critters. The 22 takes care of the bigger pests and the small ones at one time.
If things would ever get to the survival mode and surviving depends on getting something to eat the 177 would be used for small animals ( Tree Rats ) and Birds. Besides I have a really good stock of the 177 pellets.
There is an old saying....... 177 is for feathers and the 22 is for Fur.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Gamo Whisper G2 .22 cal air rifle you are looking at is almost like the Benjamin NP2 except the Gamo is a spring loaded while the Benjamin NP2 is a gas loaded. Uses compressed gas in place of a spring.
They both have a close Feet Per Second Speed on the pellets.

Not sure about this but I have read about a spring loaded air rifle losing some velocity after a while when cocked , a extended period of time. The gas ( nitro ) loaded ones are reported to never lose any power after being cocked.

The spring loaded ones have been around for a long time and Gamo said they have reduced the recoil of the spring in the Gamo Whisper G2 .22 cal air rifle.The recoil from the spring was the main objection to the spring models.

Go over to Pyramid Air on the web and look at there selection of guns. You will want one with the higher F.P.S. on the pellets in a 22 cal or larger. They have them up to 50 cal.
Plus what he said in the film , the pellet is the next option , you need to find one that the gun likes. Again Pyramid Air has a wide selection of pellets. Probably one of there catalogs would be easier to look threw and compare things with.
You know what the Gamo Whisper G2 .22 cal air rifle will do to a hog and which pellet the rifle likes.

I did not look but you might want to check out You Tube on any film about the Gamo Whisper G2 .22 cal air rifle.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
How quite this gun is really impressed me. I think it would be a blast to hog hunt with one.
Ron

Or anything else............Sort of like a bow and arrow , nice and quiet as you noticed in the hog hunting film. The one hog next to the one that was shot just keep feeding. Either the gun is quiet or the hog had a hearing problem and going with some other deductions...It was short a few cards in it's deck , it's ladder did not go all the way to the top . Only had one oar in the water , not to bright , wanted to commit suicide by hunter. :D
It appears that the Gamo Whisper G2 .22 cal air rifle is quieter then the Benjamin Trail NP2.
Personally I think the quieter the better , no sense in advertising where you are.

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Hey Chuck, I looked online and that air rifle you have is rated # 1 in the top 10 for air rifles for 2015. One of the main points is it's long durability. Dave.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Gamecock said:
Hey Chuck, I looked online and that air rifle you have is rated # 1 in the top 10 for air rifles for 2015. One of the main points is it's long durability. Dave.

No matter what I look at and check out I always go back to the Benjamin TR NP2 in the 22 cal , guess it is from my satisfaction with the same rifle in the 177 cal.

I have one of there pump up 22 cal rifles that has to be considered an antique ( Crosman ) since I know I have had it a good 60 years , if not a year or two longer , and it still will shoot. Decided to retire it.
Liked it so much I got one a few years ago ( Benjamin ) in the 177 cal and this one has a scope on it...... Only real difference was the change in the name .
Then I got the Nitro , NP2, , break barrel , with a scope on it.

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Hey Chuck, I have my Dads old Smith and Wesson 22 cal. air rifle from the 70's. It's a pump-up but still shoots good. Maybe someday I can get one of those Benjamins. There supposed to last a long time, too. Dave.