CrkdLtr's Touring Pirogue TV | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

CrkdLtr's Touring Pirogue TV

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Follow Matt's advice at least. And, consider that glass on the inside will help protect the bottom from splitting when you get it hung up on an underwater obstacle and the bottom starts to buckle inwards. Like backing on a bow helps to keep it from splitting.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, I'm just ready to be done with this boat but I guess at this point it makes no sense to take shortcuts and make a sub-standard boat. So close!!! lol

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for the positive influence on glassing the inside correctly. I worked on it last night. I laid the cloth down in 3 sections as oppose to one large piece and it went in great with little problem. I woke up this morning and trimmed the excess cloth off while the resin was still green. By the time I get home from work tonight I'll be able to do a light sanding apply a second coat and work on the bump railing finally.

She might have her first launch by this weekend afterall... :shock:

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Just thought I'd post an update.

I've got the outside and inside rails glued and screwed. Used some 12' rough cut cypress that I cut down to 1" x 1/2". As it stands now the boat is ready for a paddle test. To be 100% finished I'll have to sand, prime and paint. I'm eager to put it in the water tomorrow and see how it goes. :mrgreen:

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Bently said:
no update on this one in awhile?Whats the status?

Yeah, we wanna see if you've finally gotten that shop properly messy. If you didn't go with the dazzle camo, maybe you could make the TV look like a floating log. Never mind, most jet skiers and water skiers don't have the sense to avoid the logs. Too busy going fast.
LeviathanPlanPortside-full.jpg

Gbinga & others - if you're interested in camo and especially dazzle camo, this guy has spent a good part of his career documenting its history: http://www.bobolinkbooks.com/Camoupedia ... flage.html One of the purposes for the dazzle was to confuse torpedomen. They decided they couldn't always hide a ship (especially one belching smoke), but they could make it harder to hit. There are even cases where the gunner misjudged the direction the boat was heading - instead of leading the target, he lagged it!

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
LOL - I did finish the TV and just painted it a basic green color. But since I finished it and the cold weather came on I parked it out side in my back yard where one of my dogs started chewing on the cypress rails. So needless to say he was sent to the pound (not for that offense, we were just fostering him) and I now need to rework the inside railings of the TV.

The garage/workshop is beyond messy now. During the downtime I picked up an old Honda 3 wheeler and have been stripping it down and rebuilding it. The shop is messier now than it has ever been. :shock:

And I started to work on UJ's Cajun Skiff but after I cut the ribs for it I put them on the shelf and never came back to it. :cry:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
CrkdLtr, I came through your area a few days ago on my way to Piper San's notorious rendezvous. I waved attchya. :wink:

I've heard dangerous things about those three wheelers. But to be honest, I don't understand why they would be much different from the 4 wheelers?

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Nearly 20 years ago, the federal government declared ATVs an "imminent hazard" and forced manufacturers to drop unstable three-wheel models in favor of the four-wheelers sold today. Regulators also compelled the ATV industry to adopt safety warnings and offer rider training to stem the accidents.
The rate of injuries per ATV has barely budged from where it stood in the years after the government acted in 1988. Though death rates initially plummeted as three-wheelers disappeared, there's been scant improvement since.
Over the past decade, the machines have soared in popularity, with 7.6 million in use. The result: Record numbers of riders end up in emergency rooms and morgues as accidents kill about 800 people a year and injure an estimated 136,700. A quarter of the dead and nearly a third of the injured are children.

Three wheelers were even less stable than today's four wheelers. One of the problems is when the ATV is driving at an angle uphill or downhill. The government only tests stability straight ahead and behind, as if you were driving straight up or down a hill. Side to side tilt isn't tested, but is much lower.

Federal records show that more than half of those who die on ATVs perish in crashes where the machines roll over sideways or flip forward or backward. In some cases, overturns happen after the ATV hits something or tumbles off a steep drop. But about a third of the time, the government data show, rollovers are the first known event in a fatal crash.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianatv ... why_a.html

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Funny, ehh? Take off a wheel and have a dirt bike. Or, add a wheel and have an ATV that is more stable. Three points determine a plane, and are stable while still. But, under motion, three points aren't as stable as two or four.

I hadn't thought of using it diagonally up a hill. On a motorcycle, I stood on the pegs and the bike was (more or less) upright, whether I was making uphill jumps or climbing diagonally. Samo samo going down.

Best of luck with your ATV.