CrkdLtr's Touring Pirogue TV | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

CrkdLtr's Touring Pirogue TV

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
crkdltr said:
I just ordered a set of no skid foam blocks for a canoe. Those should work nicely.
Ahhh yes - but no romance to those pedestrian things. You coulda had REAL anaconda skin. But, Chucky got prudent on us. Just not himself since the Brazos thing.

You make it sound like he's realizing his age... :lol:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
there's a hundred ways to skin the cat, er, snake

eyebolts and carpet bunks work nicely for us

skiff5005.jpg

skiff5006.jpg

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Alright, back to the TV...

...this young whipper snapper still has a lot to learn about reading directions and cutting a line but we shall forgive a lot of "errors" to inexperience. I may have to make a second one minimize bad cuts and operator errors... :( And no... I will not post pictures of my errors... :lol: Let's just hope that fillet material can be spread over large gaps without failing under stress... :shock:

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Crooked Letter sez, "Let's just hope that fillet material can be spread over large gaps without failing under stress" Jack adds, lay a long, narrow strip of glass into the fillet. Then it will for sure. Wet the fillet area, lay on short strips of glass - short so you can handle and control it easily. And glop in fillet goop over that; smyooooooth it out.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

All joints filleted - most of the excess sanded - mock fitted the braces and the front/rear decks. Not sure whether or not I am going to make the decks accessible or just close them in. Also took an inch out of the UJ seat.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
With it being memorial day holiday and all I had a passing thought (and will likely go through with it) that when I get to the stage of painting this vessel I'm going to dazzle it. :mrgreen:

razzle.jpg

There's a plethora of other patterns here: http://www.risd.edu/dazzle/

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I think the dazzel camo is very cool, and I've even thought about using it on a boat.

The thing is, I often boat in places where power boats and cursed jet skis can be found. Dangerous enough without actually making yourself hard to see!!

But if you boat on waters where power craft are not a danger, then I think it is a great idea. It's a unique look, and the historical connection is interesting, too.

GBinGA

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The idea of camo is to pictorially speak in a language that your intended audience understands. In case of power boats and jet skis (forgive me, lord) - paint your canoe to look like a PT boat, or an aircraft carrier w/big, black numbers on the side. That way, they'd avoid you. Or, make motions like you're casting a bait out towards their craft, and reeling back in.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
gbinga said:
I think the dazzel camo is very cool, and I've even thought about using it on a boat.

The thing is, I often boat in places where power boats and cursed jet skis can be found. Dangerous enough without actually making yourself hard to see!!

But if you boat on waters where power craft are not a danger, then I think it is a great idea. It's a unique look, and the historical connection is interesting, too.

GBinGA

Well these camo patterns couldn't be anymore dangerous than my brown pirogue. Brown water...brown boat... talk about camouflage. These patterns/color variations should make me stand out and easier to see.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
crkdltr said:
Well these camo patterns couldn't be anymore dangerous than my brown pirogue. Brown water...brown boat... talk about camouflage. These patterns/color variations should make me stand out and easier to see.

The idea with the dazzel camo was to break up all the visual lines and disguise the shape, so it didn't mentally register as a ship. Most camo works that way to one extent or another.

Of course if you did the dazzel camo in purple and red and lime green, it would probably stand out. The warships were done in colors that tended to fit in with the ocean.

When some drunken hillbilly or punk teenager sees my pirouge, I want him to think "BOAT", not "odd pattern of colors".

I still think it would make a slick looking boat. Just not sure I want to use it on the waters where I paddle.

George

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
No new updates on the TV. Been working on other things but thought I'd share my daughter's fun in the TV.

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1104-1.jpg

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Holy Heil... an update. :shock: :shock: :shock:

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

I'm just debating now if I want to lay any cloth or tape on the inside. I wrapped the outside on all panels and then folded it over the tumblehome panels and cut it on the inside seam of the tumblehome. I also put a piece of 6 oz tape on the middle seam inside and out. I've got 2 coats of resin on it inside and out. Think I'm safe with it the way it is or should I go ahead and tape the inside seams at least?