DogwoodsampCrawfishPaddle006_zps37e5db0a.jpg

IMG_2945.JPG

beekeeper

Last edited:

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
FlaMike said:
...Hmmmm. . . Longer, narrow blade. Is that a more traditional pirogue paddle trait?

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

It's for stirring a pot of boiling mudbugs. 8)

Mike

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
catfish said:
bee what kind of wood did you make it out of

Pine 2"X4". Cypress is traditional and may have been better, but I didn't have any at the time. I don't think the crawfish will know the differance. :roll: :)

beekeeper

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
That last link will be helpful to me. But I really would like to hear more about traditional pirogue paddles, if anyone knows about it. I'd be surprised if seedtick didn't have something to say on the subject, but I haven't heard from him in quite a while. In fact, the Forum itself seems to be very inactive right now. Thought I could generate a little activity by asking some questions, but had only limited success.

Heck, I just like hearing from all you guys every once in a while!

Well, if I can turn up any info, I'll certainly post it.

Thanks!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I don't know if I can "hot link" these pics, but I'll give it a try. These are what I've found when I searched for pics of traditional pirogue paddles. They are on the louisianafolklife.org web site and describe the paddle as being "soft shouldered," with a long, narrow blade and a squared tip.

ocp13.jpg

The second pic shows one paddle that is what the builder calls "pagailles indiens" ( Indian paddles,) and the one below it is supposed to be a traditional pirogue paddle.

ocp20.jpg

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
bee i assume it was white pine or fir? i have made one out of this before .it is really light weight.

fla mike i thought it was just me the last few weeks ? i know the spring fling was going on but it sho was dead on here. yea enjoy reading all of you geezers post. yea some of the geezers havent posted in a while. i guess they working on knives and boats? :?: :roll: :lol:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
catfish
It was white pine. HD store has a cut off/reject bin that has 2"X4"X4' for $.50. Can't pass them up. I keep thinking I can make something useful from them. Most of the time it would be easier to start with better wood.

Mike S.
There may be a "traditional" pirogue paddle. I really don't know. I would guess there are many variations. About as many as there are paddle makers. The shape is probably determined as much by what the wood the maker has. A scrap piece of lumber, or old fence post 4" wide 28" long will only make a paddle 4"X28" long or less. A cut off 12" wide plank could make a wider one. Time and experance may disreguard, or leave behind designs or sizes that don't work well.

beekeeper

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Well, at least we got a conversation going! :D

I wouldn't have had much to say if I hadn't forgotten what the thread title was. . . :oops:

Now, I have some ideas about making a pirogue paddle, something I can do even if I can't get the boat build started just yet.

Mike S.
Spring Hill FL

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
They are "over designed/made" for what is needed to stir crawfish but that would be too easy. A little longer here or a little wider there and they would work fine for boat paddling.
I can make the most simple project into a bigger undertaking. Borrowed a 2X4 from my neighbor. After cutting out the paddles I realized the wood was treated lumber. It worked out for the best because the board I bought looked much better. The simplest thing would have bought two stir paddles or at most cut out a board to the generic shape of a paddle. That would have been "good enough" but I like "better" or things others are not able or willing to do. Hopefully my son and his friend will like and appreciate the extra work. If not that is OK. I know what they are and that make me happy.