Cool times on Gray's Creek | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Cool times on Gray's Creek

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Paddlin'Gator said:
oldsparkey said:
It would offer several advantages ..... A free air area where the bugs could not get to you and a place to stuff a pad for insulation instead of having the pad in the hammock and trying to keep it under you. Might be a trick to set up due the the wider middle in the Hennessey then the narrower area in a standard , side entry , hammock.

Chuck,
The double bottom on the old jungle hammock was simply to keep the bugs away since they were primarily for use in the South Pacific, not in cold climates. Being able to slide an insulating pad in there would be a real plus, but as you said, it could be a challenge on a Hennessy.

Joe

The Hennessey is a darn good hammock and offers a lot of room in it , that benefit does cause problems when modifying it.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'd like to take credit for this design, but this is where I got the idea and plans. I'll take the credit for knowing a good idea when I see it.

This is the site I used. Lots of ideas there.

http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

Jack, in my experience the bottom layer should be tight up against the upper layer to capture and hold the pad in place. So far, I have all but forgotten the pad was there once I positioned it. Sit in the hammock, swing your legs over and into the foot box of the bag and pull the bag up around you. Easy.

Chuck, I can do the same thing by just folding over one side of the bag when I need to.

For my location and use, this system is just about perfect. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

PS. My wife did all the sewing on this project. I might try it , but not with HER sewing machine. Married guy know what I mean. :wink:

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, you might try getting a piece of suitable material and add it to the bottom of your Hennesey by just whipping it onto the ends with cord. See that same site for whipping instructions.