CLARIFIED BUTTER??? | SouthernPaddler.com

CLARIFIED BUTTER???

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
NOPE...... When you get rid of all the impurities then it is good to go. you can even use it over a hotter flame to cook with since the milk solids are removed , just fat left , such as cooking blacken fish without the burnt taste.

One pack of 4 sticks will give you about three of the sticks after it has been clarified.

When I do it here at the house , I keep it in the frig till I want it , out camping no worry for several days , or longer. No milk solids in it to spoil. It does give things a lot better buttery taste then just a normal stick of butter.

Use the unsalted if you do it. :D I strain mine threw several layers of cheesecloth about three times , using new cheese cloth each time till it is clear with no milky look to it or on the top of it. Just that golden look that butter should have.

I saw where you can melt the butter , then put it in a container , let it cool down and cut the foam off the top to clarify it....... Haven't tried that. YET. One chief said to drop the hot butter in cold water to do the same thing...........

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Clarifying- ... etail.aspx
I have a trip coming up and will give this a try to get the clarified butter for the trip. Looks a lot easier then the way I have been doing it.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Actually, Kahuna (& Chuck), I've moved beyond that and just didn't catch my checklist up to date. I just take EVOO (Extr Virgin Olive Oil) and use it for cooking oil and butter too. Put a little garlic in it, warm it up, and dip bread into it.

JARVIS good eatin'!"

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
EVOO.....

So Kayak JAck....do you like Rachel Ray of 30 minute meals and EVOO Fame??? :D

Kahuna :lol:

Kayak Jack said:
Actually, Kahuna (& Chuck), I've moved beyond that and just didn't catch my checklist up to date. I just take EVOO (Extr Virgin Olive Oil) and use it for cooking oil and butter too. Put a little garlic in it, warm it up, and dip bread into it.

JARVIS good eatin'!"

In eastern Virginia, Food Lion & Bloom grocery stores both sell Plugra.........next to regular butter. On the label it's called "European Style".
Clarified butter is not made from vegetable oils..............it is refined butter. No refrigeration needed.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Thanks for the tip! Next time I go to my International grocer I'll look for it!! :)
Kahuna

Riverrat1969 said:
In eastern Virginia, Food Lion & Bloom grocery stores both sell Plugra.........next to regular butter. On the label it's called "European Style".
Clarified butter is not made from vegetable oils..............it is refined butter. No refrigeration needed.