Checking out areas and spending a day in the woods | SouthernPaddler.com

Checking out areas and spending a day in the woods

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not much going on so I did a Scouting trip for some campsites that does not require a boat to get to them. The water ways are really low and if someone wants to go camping it is on foot with a backpack right now.

I went to the St Johns Water Management Area called Buck Lake , not the normal Buck Lake area I go to , this one is on the south of the road and referred to as The Seminole Ranch area but still is a part of Buck Lake. It takes in 4 different counties. http://www.outintheboonies.com/Seminole_Ranch/

Parked at the Horse pens and hiked into the campsite called Davids Cabbage Palm Campsite to check it out.

It is located in a Cabbage Palm and Oak Hammock and from the winds we have been having the camp was covered with palm fronds from the Cabbage Palms and tons of Acorns from the Oak Trees.

The Turkeys , Deer and Hogs have to be having a feast from all the acorns and not just here but several other areas I went to today. Walking out after taking these pictures I noticed where a deer crossed the road after I walked in there. :D

This is a district picture of the campsite and what got me interested in it.
davids_camp_s.jpg

davids_sign_s.jpg

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
My pictures from today..............

Campsite.......... Plenty of trees to hang a hammock from.
davidscamp%20001.jpg

A Better view of the fire ring , benches and area.
davidscamp%20002.jpg

Walk way over the little ditch leading into the campsite from the road way.
davidscamp%20003.jpg

Better view of the walk way into the campsite from the road leading in.
davidscamp%20004.jpg

If you stay on the path and don't turn left to the camp ( where I was standing taking the pictures ) there are a lot of foot trails to wander around on.
davidscamp%20005.jpg

The road into the campsite from the Horse Pens.
davidscamp%20006.jpg

On down the road past the campsite and way back into the area.
davidscamp%20007.jpg

Camping is allowed year long on a first come first served basis. No reservation or fee required. Except for hunting season when they close all the campsites for camping.
Right now it is Hunting season there and till the 19th of this month. :x