Check out this Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

Check out this Pirogue

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Outrigger Pirogue

It's an outrigger pirogue almost exactly the way I want to build mine. I'd probably use straight iakos (crossmembers) and plywood ama (floater).

It's amazing the decisions you make once you're midway through building one of Uncle John's kits.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That's a bit more like a canoe than a pirogue, but certainly the idea is translatable. The outrigger float itself is well designed. Some seem to me that if they ever touched the water, all forward progress would cease.

The boat itself appears to be wooden, and then sprayed with some kind of covering. Is that inner tube strips the side poles and float are lashed in with?

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Yeah, that's what it looks like just old cut up inner tubes. Good for allowing a little flex while out on the water. That's great for all this barge traffic we get and these $30,000 bass boats that go racing by in the summers.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I'd think that an outrigger would be darned welcome in heavy water, or if action got real exciting with a big fish on the line. I guess you have to keep a fish on only one side of the boat, but the added stability would be real comforting, I'd expect.

I've never been in a boat with a side hack, it probably takes some getting used to. I keep thinking of Matt's pontoon boat for fishing shallow water, being stable, maybe another fisherman on board, A small outboard, pole, sail, paddle, I guess a guy could have a real choice of propulsion methods.

I'd be strongly tempted to add a sail to an outrigger boat. That gives the elegant, yet subtle, finger to guys with more money than brains driving a $30,000 fishing boat.

Reactions: FrankAS

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Kayak Jack said:
That gives the elegant, yet subtle, finger to guys with more money than brains driving a $30,000 fishing boat.

Yeah, i tell ya once I was fishing at a boat landing. Some guy pulls up in his $30,000 truck pulling his quite modest $8,000 bass boat. But he gets in the water, cranks up, drives 100 yards down the bank, anchors down and starts fishing.

I thinking did he really need all that horse power just for a 100 yards? He could have bought any number of boats that would have been much cheaper and probably done a better job. At the very least a canoe wouldn't have scared every fish within about 200 yards away.

Reactions: FrankAS

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Funbun,

That guy sounds like he might have had a clue.

Sometimes the best fishing to be had is very close to the put in. All the stink boaters are too busy going somewhere else to fish so close. Consequently, the areas close to the ramp get less pressure = more fish :D

I used to anchor up, about 50 - 75 yards from the ramp in a local creek here. There was an outdoor bar beside the boat ramp that had a live country band every Sunday afternoon :D

I could prop there for two or three hours, enjoying the music, having a beer or two and catch more fish than anybody else in the creek. All the boats would roar past in their hurry to be somewhere else and for years, I had the place pretty much to my self.

I just didn't pull any fish in while they were going past. :twisted:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, fishermen are a funny lot. People get in a boat and cast as close to the bank as they can get and people on the bank cast as far out into the middle as they can. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
jdupre' said:
Jack, fishermen are a funny lot. People get in a boat and cast as close to the bank as they can get and people on the bank cast as far out into the middle as they can. :roll:
Years ago, Field and Stream magazine had a cartoon labeled "Opening Day". Both banks of a narrow river were lined shoulder to shoulder with fly fishermen. Each one had his fly under the feet of a guy straight across the river.