Can't find the ID on my canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

Can't find the ID on my canoe

longrodlowlife

Dec 1, 2019
Just picked it up this weekend and planning on cleaning it up to use as a hunting rig but cannot find anything online that looks similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've already looked all over the boat for a HID but no dice. Also the data pate on the bow is pretty beat up and found something similar to it online so I'm guessing it could be a Grumman.

IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Welcome aboard. Some lf these buggars on here will try to tell you fibs, and stories they've stretched. I'll tell you only the truth. Because, over 200 years ago, Cap'n Merriwether taught me to be honest, and I have been ever since.

When you roll the boat inverted, the center seam, if it is a Grumman, should protrude out about 5/8" all along the bottom, like a mini keel. The seats don't look like Grummans that I've paddled with the Boy Scouts. The boat has been used a lot. Some aluminum canoes that have been banged around develop leaks along their center seam. When we paddled with the Scouts, I always ran duct rape along the seams, especially on the stem ends.

But, even if it leaks a bit, it will still probably share some good adventures with you. Enjoy!

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
With the exception of the seats, it looks like a Grumman. However, the seats look like someone may have tried to replace them.

I've never (evereverever) disagreed with Jack, but I will (sorta) now. Not all Grummans have the keel that Jack describes (however, most do). They did make some with a "shoe" keel, semi flat and rounded, to make them more maneuverable in moving water. 1st time I saw one I had to check the plate to make sure it really was a Grumman.

longrodlowlife

Dec 1, 2019
Here's a shot of the keel.

Thanks for the help.

I also like (in no particular order) scotch, ladies, and airplanes so this sounds like the right group to be around.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The keel looks to be "Grumman-like". I think the seats are a modification by a previous user. Where the bottom is caved in some, you might be able to reshape it. It doesn't appear to have been bent beyond the point of deformation. This is highly technical, so read very, very carefully.

Place boat in water, alongside the dock. Secure both ends of the boat with about a foot or so of slack in the lines. While standing on the dock, drop a bag of sand directly onto that inward bulge area. The sand bag could weigh, say, 20-25 pounds. Repeat until the bulge has faired out some. Quit dropping the sand bag. Go have a cuppa coffee. Either decaf or regular.

If J.D. (Beekeeper) were there, he'd take the boat out fishing, to "test the repair." JD goes fishing at any excuse. To relax, to get excited, to fix the tear in the screen door, to change the oil in his truck, etc. Fishing cures everything.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Looks like a shoe keel and from the looks of the hull, it has done some fast water. The great thing about Grummans is they are like a Timex - takes a beatin' and keeps on tickin'. I've had mine for 47 years and it still gets used. My eldest has claimed it as his birthright so #2 son will end up with one of my Wenonahs.

The great thing about Grummans is no matter how bad it looks, as long as it floats... who cares.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A friend of mine inherited a racing canoe a few years ago. Long, and very narrow. He took his 10ga shotgun and the canoe duck hunting. Sitting in the boat, a gaggle of ducks flew in, passing on his left.

BANG pause BANG no pause SPLASH. The recoil had rolled him over. He held ahold lf the 20ga. And, sold tne canoe.