Camping on Lake Verret | SouthernPaddler.com

Camping on Lake Verret

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Went for a one night trip to my favorite spot- Lake Verret. Same camping spot as the Great Pirogue Expedition. Had to work yesterday til noon, so I got a late start. Went down the 5 miles of blacktop and 4.5 miles of a 5 mile gravel road when I came upon this.
wateronroad.jpg

Yep, there's half a mile of road there under that water. I know the area so I was confident I could EASE down the road to the landing. This is the landing.
waterlanding.jpg

Dead center of the photo is where Piper , Jack and I launched on our trip. I figure the water came up about a foot due to rain and a south wind holding the water back. Unlike rivers most everwhere else, the bayous here are right about sea level and when they come up they flood dozens and dozens of square miles aroung the lake.

Wind was blowing 20-25mph and the lake was rough. Probably the roughest water I've been in with the pirogue. One foot swells with quite a few white caps. She handled them pretty well.

I pulled up to the campsite and the landing site we used on our trip had about a foot of water over it.

watercampsite.jpg

I broke out my "Cajun Trangia" kit and made some of Ron's frito chilli pie. Washed it down with a Coke and sour mash. Yum.

cajuntrangia.jpg

Right at dark I checked one the bush lines and found a straightened out hook and catfish slime amost two feet up the line and no fish. I had attatched the line to a log in the middle of the canal and it didn't have enough give and the fish thrashed until he pulled free. Had to be over 20 # to straighten out my stout hook.

Well, this is my birthday breakfast. Fresh coffee and some fire warmed banana bread.

breakfast.jpg

Left for home about 9:00 because the lake was getting rough in a hurry. I had just turned in to Little Grand Bayou and rounded the first curve when all hell broke loose. :shock: I surprised a BIG gator and it took off about 15 yards from the boat with a splash that sounded like somebody threw a car off a cliff. He surged out in front of me and came up for a couple a seconds and turned and went back under some floating water plants. He made the 11 foot gator I saw on that other trip look like a mere pup. He was probably 14" long and several hundred pounds. Made for some tense moments at less than 50 feet.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
YEP... When you surprise one of those lizards they can give you a start and a seat sucking up reaction but think what we do to them. They are just laying around , soaking up a few rays and getting warmed up and a slight tan when all of a sudden there quiet world is interrupted. :lol:

Thinking about it , one might of stolen your catfish that was on the line , one lizard with dinner in its mouth sure could straighten out the hook holding his meal. That Cajun Traianga is neat , well thought out and easy to use. Especially when cooking up that camping meal which Ron has all of us hooked on called Frito Pie.

You did not mention the sleeping arraignments , I know you would not of been in the hammock since it is so hard to set up , uncomfortable and takes a lot of room in the pirogue so the adult beverages would have to be left at home and since you had them , the beverage and the mix with you. "O" well seeping on the ground ain't that bad , not good but not that bad. :lol: :roll:

Man it has been a long time since I have had any banana bread and that slice of it sure looked dang good. A great way to celebrate a birthday , out camping , having a good meal and just relaxing. The last 8 years or so that is exactly what I do. HAPPY (Belated) BIRTHDAY. :D

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Chuck, did you know that a pirogue can go just as fast in reverse as it can in forward? :mrgreen: Let's see -- surprised gator about 14" long and almost 2' wide.......Pirogue 16" long by a little over 2 ' wide . I didn't want him trying to assert his territorial dominance on what , he might think, was a rival gator. No , he can have that section of the bayou. :)

And Steve, a dang site better than being at work. :)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Chuck, did you know that a pirogue can go just as fast in reverse as it can in forward? :mrgreen: Let's see -- surprised gator about 14" long and almost 2" wide.......Pirogue 16" long by a little over 2 " wide . I didn't want him trying to assert his territorial dominance on what , he might think, was a rival gator. No , he can have that section of the bayou. :)

That's why the reverse on a pirogue is just as good as the forward gear. I will bet your reverse was better , right then , then the forward gear. :lol:

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yep, just barely old enough to drink. Jack, I stepped it off.... five steps from where your hammock was tied, the swamp is 3/4 of a paddle blade deep. We don't get flash floods around here. When the water comes up, it tends to stay up for quite a while.

Joey

islandpiper

Joey, i really don't think you should go over there alone any more. I'll take time off work the next time and join you, or you can come over this way and we'll camp.....or I'll send a couple of the Hornet's cheerleaders (Honey Bees) along to distract the gators.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
islandpiper said:
Joey, i really don't think you should go over there alone any more. I'll take time off work the next time and join you, or you can come over this way and we'll camp.....or I'll send a couple of the Hornet's cheerleaders (Honey Bees) along to distract the gators.

piper
Me, with my most serious face on.
"No honey, REALLY, the cheerleaders are ONLY to distract the gators. " :twisted: Yeah, like that will happen. :mrgreen:

Steve

jdupre' said:
. . ."No honey, REALLY, the cheerleaders are ONLY to distract the gators. " :twisted: Yeah, like that will happen. :mrgreen: . . .

Joey, read the exchange between you and Keith to Susie. . . She said said you a real smart man. . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

(But, dang it, don't we all wish sometimes. . . :D )

BTW, Joey, Happy Birthday from both me and Susie, my friend. . .

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Same campsite as the Great Pirogue Expedition. No land showing anywhere around the campsite except the levee- 4 feet high WOW! :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It has been a good day. Steve, tell Suzie my mama didn't raise no fool.

Pic of the campsite. The back of Piper's tent was right in front of the log in the foreground. One of the deer rubs on the tree on the right.
backoftent.jpg

Joey

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Happy Birthday Joey.

I know that sound. So does my daughter and niece. If you ask them, it was a 20' gator! :shock:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
oldsparkey said:
Thinking about it , one might of stolen your catfish that was on the line , one lizard with dinner in its mouth sure could straighten out the hook holding his meal. That Cajun Traianga is neat , well thought out and easy to use. Especially when cooking up that camping meal which Ron has all of us hooked on called Frito Pie.

You did not mention the sleeping arraignments , I know you would not of been in the hammock since it is so hard to set up , uncomfortable and takes a lot of room in the pirogue so the adult beverages would have to be left at home and since you had them , the beverage and the mix with you. "O" well seeping on the ground ain't that bad , not good but not that bad. :lol: :roll:

Chuck.

It definitely could have been a gator that got the catfish. Piper and I saw about a 7 footer not a hundred yards from there. It could also be that 7' gator gar that I saw surface earlier that day. He came up 20 feet from the boat and made a "HUH" as he took a breath. You know it's a big one when you hear that sound.

I suffered yet again in the hammock. I'm just a sucker for punishment. :) I set it up with an equal amount of tarp on each side to clear a small tree. Still gave plenty room on each side for my stuff. Raised the sides up high to catch the wind.

I gotta stop spending all that big money on camping equipment. Hammock and tarp -- $30.00 ...... Cajun Tragia-- $0.00.... Huge dry bag--$3.00 ( heavy plastic sheeting from fabric dept. in WalMart.) ...Grub box-- Freebee from a job 20 years ago. Exorbitant!! :lol:

islandpiper

Joey's stove is the grandpa to mine. Same family, but the pot rack is different. .I made mine from a No.5 tin can. I like the draft on one side, easier to keep it down wind, or up wind, what ever.

DSCF0011-6.jpg

DSCF0009-2.jpg

I had a bit of excitement the last few days. Just made this stove and it was burning really wildly. I found a little tiny split in the outer or lower unit. I made a new lower unit and it runs better (and safer)

I know it sounds amazing but this same tin can pot stand holds the REAL Trangia, too.
still cookin', piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Keith, that's a nice set-up. How does that penny stove work? Looks like it would build up more pressure for a higher flame but be a little harder to fill.

Joey

islandpiper

joey, we should probably burn yours and mine, side by side with measured amounts of fuel and see what goes the longest. We can do that with a dimestore watch. I'd figure the one that burned fastest would be hottest, too. Actually, it fills real fast. And, it burns better somehow with the penny on it. I have fried a couple eggs with it, and made hot water for coffee, but i've never really cooked a meal on it.

piper