Caddepa and Hairies First Paddle | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Caddepa and Hairies First Paddle

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Dave,
Sorry to hear about ya tyres mate. I had forgotton all about the appalling customer service in Gladstone. (Part of the reason I left there)

I spoke with John on the phone last night and he doesn't have a moile phone I am posting from Miss Suzies place so don't have mine with me and can't remember the number anyway. :oops: Will try to remember to pack it tonight. and PM you the number.

Very cloudy here at the moment with the promise of rain, but there is little wind. My yard has been waterlogged for so long now the grass has died. LOL
EXCELLENT!!! :D

Re the road, I hear ya mate. I think we will just have to take our chances. I think things should start to omprove on the weather front fairly quickly and at the very leat it will be a heck of an adventure. i haven't camped in serious rain in years. In a perverted sort of way, I am looking forward to it.

If things are too ugly at 1770, there are a couple of other options in the area, ie Cania Gorge or even the barra dams at Gladstone or Gin Gin.

Will post again tonight when I get home.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Oh yeah,

While down here in Hervey Bay, yesterday. I took the liberty of getting some very good Australian wines. not sure if John enjoys a wine or not but will be taking "adequate" supplies. :D

dawallace45

Mick

Still raining here

The upper reaches of the Awoonga dam is a good place to paddle , especially now with the level so high , good place to camp is the Boynedale Bush camp , only had a composting crapper and no shower but it's free and quite and you can put in straight into the creek and not have to cross the basin , , that basin is a bastard , wind blows up from about 11am on with a lull in the afternoon , turns the whole basin into white caps , the Boynedale area is much kinder to kayaks

How long you planing to be up for ?

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Dave,

I think Boynedale Siding is probably a viable alternative and well worth a look if it is too crappy at 1770.

We are heading up in the morning and I need to return on Thursday for w@#k on Friday.

If we had more time, I would be inclined to head for Ramsay's Crossing in The Narrows, north from Gladstone. (introduce John to some real Aussie Bush camping) crocks and all :lol: but the sandflies are just too hot there and we dont have enough time to prepare properly. There are absolutely no facilities there at all apart from a boat ramp but the fishing and crabbing would be brilliant now.

We should be at 1770 by 1500 tomorrow and will stay there at least that night and see what happens. :D

dawallace45

Mick

If your coming up the highway and turning off at Miriam Vale call in for a coffee , it's only 3 minutes out of your way , address is 157 Messmate Drive , phone is 07 49745657 or 0418744561

You also have the put in at the end of Foreshores drive , lots of sand flies and such but reasonably sheltered paddling , of course if you go there come and get some crab pots off me , it's just off the Turkey beach road , there is also Sandy creek and captains landing , good jacks

If your there until Thursday I should be able to join you for a paddle

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Dave. Thanks mate. It was good to catch up with you again.

I am working on a trip reort at the moment, and i am sure john and Dave will contribute when they get the chance.

in the meantime, A shot of the camp site.

1770Canon010.jpg

the view aint half bad either. :D

(low tide)

1770Canon094.jpg