Burrum Fresh & Critters. | SouthernPaddler.com

Burrum Fresh & Critters.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Ms Robin and I went for another paddle yesterday 8) Been workin on the honey do stuff for last couple of weeks and finally, it was time for a day off :D

Put in was at the lower end of the first of the freshwater section of our Burrum River and paddle upstream.

DSCF3509067.jpg

After years of praying for decent rain, we have had a pretty good wet season this year, and even more unseasonal rain in the past week. Lenthall's Dam and the two weirs below it are now full and over-flowing so the plan was to put in near the wall at the lowest weir and paddle upstream against the current to the wall of the second weir (about 5 miles)

We started to hear the thunder of the overflow about a mile from the second weir wall and also started to see foam on the water as the current increased.

DSCF3513071.jpg

Hugging the banks and working the pressure points and eddies, I was able to work us forward while Ms Robin did her thing with the camera. Most piccies here are hers. :D

DSCF3519077.jpg

DSCF3522080.jpg

Finally, the wall was in sight. This is a pretty big deal for us. Our dams are rarely full and to see the overflow and hearing the roaring it, just took my breath away.

DSCF3525083.jpg

Getting real close here. 8)

IMGP1333010.jpg

At this point, we decided discretion was the wise call and retreated to find a better option to get closer. - More to come.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
We found a sheltered backwater a couple of hundred yards from the wall and walked to it to get some more shot and have a cuppa. :D

IMGP1338015.jpg

DSCF3629187.jpg

And also sussed out a portage to get round the wall (for a future trip) It is a difficult climb at best. Probably more suited for the Lakers but shows promise of some good skinny water paddling.

DSCF3568126.jpg

DSCF3567125.jpg

DSCF3574132.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Jim and Jack,

Thanks guys. It was the first reasonably fine day we have had in a week, and this part of our river is a photographer's delight.

We took Sasquatch again and it is rapidly becoming our favourite boat. Robin can sit up the front and do her thing with the camera while I silently sneak us along. There are platipus in this river but they are so shy, it is allmost impossible to get a decent piccie of one. This way, Robin can be ever ready. 8)

Jack, the hydrolic there was amazing. I stopped paddling to take that shot of Robin & her camera (maybe 30 secs), we came very close to getting sucked in.

Some more of the story & piccies :D

After our cuppa, I went back to the boat. I had inspected the area below the wall and there was a nice little spot, I felt I could sneak into and in turn would give us an opportunity to run some fast water coming out. 8)

I really like this sequence. (Thanks Babe) 8)

DSCF3608166.jpg

DSCF3609167.jpg

DSCF3610168.jpg

DSCF3611169.jpg

DSCF3612170.jpg

DSCF3613171.jpg

DSCF3614172.jpg

This amazing boat continues to impress me. The water was bigger and the current faster than it looks in the piccies, yet Sasquatch handled it all with applomb. She is just so ideal for our waters and what Robin and I want to do with a Canadian style canoe that she still surprises both of us just how good she really is. I will be very definately building a smaller version of just this boat, to use as a pack canoe. (perhaps two of them)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
The noise here was deafening so we decided to head back down stream a little for some lunch. We took off from that sheltered little nook into the froth & foam for the freight train ride of a lifetime (for us anyway) :D OUTSTANDING but a little scary dodging strainers & such. :oops:

When things settled down a bit, i took the time to get this shot. :D

IMGP1344021.jpg

and this one

IMGP1343020.jpg

Out of the hustle & bustle & foam to a farm paddock & picnic lunch 8)

IMGP1350027.jpg

IMGP1348025.jpg

Farm house in background 8) (nice people)

IMGP1346023.jpg

Robin & one of our home grown oranges :lol:

IMGP1328005.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
After lunch, we headed back down stream to some small side creeks in search of the elusive platipus. No luck there, by we got some critter shots anyway. 8)

We saw lots of Water Dragons

DSCF3691249.jpg

DSCF3733035.jpg

DSCF3743045.jpg

DSCF3748050.jpg

A Turtle sunning on a log.

DSCF3749051.jpg

and heaps of black ducks. These little blokes are very good to eat, but we are not allowed to hunt them anymore. :x

DSCF3642200.jpg

Oh yeah,

I would kill to have a house yard like this, in this location. :oops:

DSCF3745047.jpg

Just one more shot of Robin doing her thing :oops:

IMGP1361038.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read our little story. Hope you all enjoyed the piccies as much as we enjoyed taking them. BTW Robin shot over 2 gig of piccies this trip. :shock:

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
m

Mick, your trip reports continue to get better each time.

With all the clean water there, you might get a big surprise if you ever get over this side.

There are many people here who think it is someone elses job to pick up after them. I get sad each time I go out. Seams that I am spending most of my time picking up trash left by lazy bastages that I'd call pigs, but I don't want to insult the pigs. :evil:

Keep the reports coming. I love to read them and see the pics,.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
That is one beautiful river and I can see Bearridge drooling when he sees that dam , all he will dream about is paddling over it.
Dang Chuck....ya know me too well. That wuz a smooth version of Second Ledge which I run a few weeks ago. Lookin' back I am lucky I didnt lose my high dollar spectakles, like I did my French Quarter cap. Lucky I didnt come out with more blood comin' outta more new holes too. Water wuz jest too dang low. :? :? :?

Mick, you 'n Miz Robin iz near bout on the top when it comes ta vacationeers. Thanks fer them pichurs. It helps ta see folks out on the water when it iz so hot 'n dry round here. I reckon my boat will set in the dry dock til fall. :cry: :? :cry:

regards
bearridge

ps I spent my time inside the washin' machine, so I dont reckon I would be runnin' off the top of that dam......less I wuz in my Yahoo. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll: 8) :mrgreen:

In nature their are neither rewards nor punishments - there are consequences. R. G. Ingersoll