Building Freedom Texas Style | SouthernPaddler.com

Building Freedom Texas Style

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
img]Let me introduce myself I am from central Texas within 5 miles of the Brazos river. I have been in the steel business for a lot of years until a stroke slowed me down a few years ago.
I just got into yaks a few months ago and love them had canoed a lot but the yak is so much better for what I do.
I listened to y'all brag on Matt so decided to go with his plans for the Freedom. Matt was very helpful and prompt on our dealings and this and JEM forum have helped me along on this build THANKS to all of you.
This being my first boat I went the cheap route, laun wood, 4 m
Pic of starting to lay out the parts
IM001113.jpg

another pic
IM001111.jpg

after cutting and joining section stiching hull together
IM001114.jpg

well enough for one night
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have a few more pic
Splices fiberglass on both sides
IM001115.jpg

another shot of the bow
IM001116.jpg

This may be old hat to ya'll but it works very well for the fillet material.
Take coffee can and a zip lock baggy insert it in coffee container fold it around edges go ahead mix your resin take it out snip the end nice neat no mess.
IM001136.jpg

baggy inserted
IM001137.jpg

It has been long day playing with boat I think I will go play.
IM001122.jpg

The small fish in the bottom row is 14 inches to give you an ideal of the size of these cats
Ron

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Sweet looking bunch of cats Tx. The boat looks like it's coming along great. I am alraedy thinking about building another before my first is done.
I can't wait to see your freedom and hear how you like her! 8)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks mate,

Nice looking boat. Heratige boats have just started appearing out here. I haven't seen one yet but a few blokes down south seem very happy with them.

Been playing with the idea of building something a little similar for a while now. Would love to get up close to one with a tape measure and camera. :twisted: :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Hairymick
I would be glad to take any pic are measurements on it if you ever want me to. It is a 9ft 5in boat I realy like it, throw it in back of truck and go
39 lbs
Ron

JEM

hairymick said:
Thanks mate,

Nice looking boat. Heratige boats have just started appearing out here. I haven't seen one yet but a few blokes down south seem very happy with them.

Been playing with the idea of building something a little similar for a while now. Would love to get up close to one with a tape measure and camera. :twisted: :D

hee hee hee Mick.... Mo Mo on my forum has got me cooking something up for him I think you'd like.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
hairymick said:
Thanks mate,

hee hee hee Mick.... Mo Mo on my forum has got me cooking something up for him I think you'd like.

MATT , STOP TEASING MICK. :roll: That is not nice.

You know there are a few things in this world that gets him going ( besides his lovely wife , Bless her , she has an impossible job making him behave ) with them being a frying pan of fresh caught fish cooking for a shore meal while paddling or camping or a new boat design.
I think the new boat design makes him drool even more. :lol:

Mick , Mate , No offense but I think you have sawdust and epoxy traveling thru your veins and are looking for a new transfusion. Not that it is a bad idea , just a dang good one. :D

If any one of you out there don't think the folks down under are not nut's .... then Mick is a good example to destroy that idea. Totally nut's and a fun loving boat building _______________ You fill in the blank. :lol: Naturally Matt keeps teasing him with great plans for boats , yet to be built and paddled.
Knowing Mick ... They will be built and paddled and I still want the South Wind he made. Yep , Like he would ever get rid of it an I don't blame him. Take what you want but don't mess with my boats. :twisted:

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Freedom Glassing
Sanded down and putting glass on the outside then on the inside. It will be a little different, glassing the hull all except the cockpit and putting fiberglass mat in that area, I want it rough so my feet don't slip as bad when there wet are muddy.
Putting in four bulk heads 1ft from the bow and 1ft from the stern these will be sealed and full of foam the bulkheads in front and behind cockpit are sealed and glassed ,I am going to put hatches in both the bigger compartments.
Sorry no pics of glassing
The braces at top of bulkheads is moulding for baseboard in a house it is tapered so glass goes over it better.
Glass should be dry so back to work
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Tx nice starter boat & fish. Now your talking my kind of fish. That,s what I fish for here mostly. Thats why I used it (catfish) for my profile. I love to catch them . Biggest one Ive caught was 23 #,s. :D

Fry em up or put them in a stew mighty good. :)