Building a full sized Canadian canoe in 3 days | SouthernPaddler.com

Building a full sized Canadian canoe in 3 days

Chuck has invited me onto this forum, I think I may need a new venue as I might have upset some of the dedicated people on Matt's forum with my cavalier approach to the time honoured way of building canoes.

My canoe building method allows youngsters to build their own boats in 3 days, which apparently is anathema to lots of skilled people. We are currently hosting a home educating family at our house, while they build not one but two Canadian canoes. They started on Friday morning, it is now Monday evening and if you look carefully at the photographs on my website you will see 2 Canadian canoes, one nearly finished and another half-way. These have both been built by the 17 year old son of the family, with help from his brothers. Have a look at www.birchcanoes.com and in particular at the photos on the "May 06" link.

The first canoe is a Jem Watercraft Iroquois, which is an adaptation of Matt's Merrimac, which he kindly adapted to a flat bottom so as to indulge me. My method of building is a considerable short cut on the proper way of doing things, my defence is that the children get to do most of it, and they feel in charge. The second canoe is an adaptation of the Iroquois which the 17 year-old felt he could build after getting the bug!

These Iroquois are lovely boats on the water, very stable, and equally at home as a solo boat or with 4 largish people or a hoard of children. I have not managed to capsize one, I think you would have to get it up the gunwhales before it would go over, they seem to have all the features I would look for in a boat. They are light enough to carry single handed, and carry on a roof rack. Matt was very obliging, and I fully recommend the plans. I indulged myself and paid for full sized templates, which were well worth while. See www.jemwatercraft.com

They have a flat bottom, 2 chines per side, and I screw a chunky roofing lath on the bottom as a strake to keep the directional stability. I tried one boat with 3 and could hardly turn it round, one works well.

Sorry for the long initial post !

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's He is right it is all my fault but I did warn him that we do work in junction with Matt and his web site because we believe in the same thing. Helping folks build boats and especially helping the youth build there boats so they can enjoy all of the things we enjoy. After all they are our future.:D

We just express it differently over the web and this is good because it gives a person the best of both worlds. My guess is that is why Matt set up his web site after being here with us for a day or was that two days :?

As all of you know Matt's web site www.jemwatercraft.com is serious all (OK , till I post something on his forum http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/ ) all of the time while over here we do have a tendency to not be that way.. ..............Just ask Kayak Jack and almost everyone else on here, I am always the most serious person on here ... choke, cough, sniffle, gasp, gag .....which is again a good thing because someone has to be serious and keep all of you in line. :roll: MAN .. Even I don't believe that and I typed it. :lol:

Chuck..........

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend jclohesy,

First off, it dont matter how long yer first post iz. If it goes on too long, we jest quit readin'. :wink:

Second, some a these fellas need ta learn new words like anathema. Sir Neville Ballingsforth drops by ever now 'n then. I reckon ya know him? He musta done okay ta git a "sir" added ta hiz name.

Third, we got a few little pardners who post on here ever now 'n then. Justin done okay with boat buildin', but he iz dang near a grownup these days. I figger some gal likely turnt hiz head upside down. Helpin' kids iz high on our list.

best regards
bearridge
sideways bound

Life is too short to drink bad wine. Winston Churchill

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
John,

I sure hope you don't think you upset me. NOR that I'm a good craftsman. One of the reasons I try to build a robust boat is BECAUSE I'm not a good craftsman. Klutzy in the shop; klutzy in the field.

And, there's a lot of granite, flint, quartz, gneiss, etc. in the Canadian Shield country. Just like the kite eating tree that plagued Charlie Brown, I seem to be magnetic to these igneous rocks.

Here, we often discuss various ways of doing things. An appropriate answer is always, "It depends." How the boat is going to be used should dictate how it is designed and made. Cost, time, size of workshop, tools & equipment needed, etc. are other factors in the equation.

Pretty near about any time a 17 year old boy is working WITH his little brothers and a boat is emerging and all kids still have all their fingers come supper time, it's been a good day.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the welcome!

I really got the bit about all the children still having their fingers ! I didn't mention that they've broken two bandsaw blades and my best glassfibre cutting scissors. FIngers still intact this morning, but they've a day to go before they leave..

I've posted some more photographs on my website, www.birchcanoes.com/May%2006.htm showing the progress these kids are making. Lovely family, there are 11 children, of whom 9 are here, the other two are at home with their dad. Their mum is so good with them, I never hear a bad word or raised voice from any of them. They left off building on Sunday for church, ( I tend to carry on, its my hobby) without a murmur, and have had a great time.

I suppose if I did put all those extra coats of resin on my boats, we would be happier to go pulling them over rocks etc.. we tend to be a bit careful, and make repairs if we have to. Canoeing on a quiet English river must be a little different from Canadian Shield stuff, although that inspires us.

Canoeing in the English lakes is lovely, and I can recommend the Scottish Lochs, what we don't have much of is snow-capped mountains.

Thanks again for the welcome
John

Canoe in a weekend

I've already posted this news on the Jem bulletin board, but I thought I had better do the same here..

Last weekend a family with no woodworking or boat building experience came to stay with me ( camping). It rained nearly the whole time, and they started work on their canoe around 4pm on the Friday, and they managed to launch their Jem Iroquois onto our flooded river, and paddle it with the whole family, by Sunday evening.

The Jem Iroquois is 15'6" long, and yet light enough to put onto a car for transporting home.

I thoroughly recommend the plans, they make a lovely boat. The proper method for building them, as recommended by Matt, would take you several weekends and no doubt result in a more precise boat.

I have documented the building progress on my website at http://www.birchcanoes.com/a_canoe_in_a_weekend.htm which you can have a look at.

I thought you would like to see what can be done. I think this opens up the possibility of offering canoe building weekends to families, in the realistic hope of being able to complete a worthwhile full sized Canadian canoe in the time available.

I would be grateful if any of you know a product which can be used on birchplywood to give a clear varnish, which is waterproof, UV stabilised, and water based, and oh, it must be able to dry in 2 hours. We used a floor varnish, but I don't think it would have much in the way of UV stability, and they will be putting further coats of something else when they get home.

John

www.birchcanoes.com

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
This is an interesting point. On my last canoe I put 3 coats of epoxy on and then 3 coats of oil based UV protectant varnish and I didn't seem to have a problem with getting it to stick. I would much rather work with a water based finish, but I was having difficulty finding something in water based that was exterior rated and would be a UV protectant so I ended up with the oil based stuff. I am now getting ready to put the UV protectant coat on the canoe I am currently building and would rather do the water based if I can. I have access to the big chain lumber yards here so hopefully I can find it this time. What brand / type are you guys using here exactly?

Thanks in advance.