Breakfast Flats. | SouthernPaddler.com

Breakfast Flats.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm always looking for some good snacks to toss in my pack and take along with me when I take out weather for a few hours or several days.

If you have been looking for a healthy snack to take along on Trips , Outings , Hikes . Paddling , Backpacking , Camping or just goofing off. I found one I really like that I did not have to make.

It's the Quaker Breakfast Flats , there are three wafers in each pack and they weigh 1.41 oz per pack. ( For anyone counting the ounces you put in a pack ) Better yet they are only 180 calories and do not let that fool you , they are really tasty and filling. :D

Right now all I can find at the local grocery store are the Cranberry Almond ones which is great with me since they are really good. As soon as they stock the other two I am going to try them.

Click on this to take a look and see what they have to say.
http://www.quakeroats.com/product/snack ... flats.aspx

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
grandpa paddler said:
However... for those of us who are pre-sweetened (ie diabetic) 12 grams of sugar is higher than the 4 grams that I try to limit for that type of food.

Jon

Yes , 12 grams , that was the 1st thing my wife pointed out to me because of her Diabetics. As I explained to her , they were for me when I am out and about and I would keep them with my camping food supply. Not in the household pantry with all of the stuff that both of us can have. :D

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
grandpa paddler said:
However... for those of us who are pre-sweetened (ie diabetic) 12 grams of sugar is higher than the 4 grams that I try to limit for that type of food.

Jon
Good point. Diabetics need snacks too. I remember Cap't Jacks Power Bars were quite tasty. Jon, I bumped his recipe up in the Food section. You might look at it and see of it id usable for diabetics or could be made usable by adjusting a few ingredients. I haven't made any in quite a while. I'll have to knock out another batch.
Bob

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
[/quote] As I explained to her , they were for me... :D Chuck.[/quote]

You are almost as bad as my wife,she does have ice cream, hot fudge, cookies and munchies where I see them every time I open the fridge or pantry. Worst is all the candy bars in a clear container sitting out in plain site.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
grandpa paddler said:
You are almost as bad as my wife,she does have ice cream, hot fudge, cookies and munchies where I see them every time I open the fridge or pantry. Worst is all the candy bars in a clear container sitting out in plain site.

Ha ,Ha , Ha ... Unlike your better half , I keep my camping food ( Dehydrated meals ) in my bedroom in a large plastic container under the bed and the ( pre-packaged items ) in a Bear Vault ( http://www.bearvault.com/ ). The Bear Vault is in a spare backpack over in one corner.
I guess you could say that the Bear Vault doubles as a Wife Vault these days since I like to pack light and leave it at home for the most part when I'm out and about. It does a darn good job of protecting my camping food either way , at home or in the woods. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was just over on AOL reading about Quaker getting sued for five million dollars because there advertising states there product is all natural.

I have been having a bowl of Oatmeal for breakfast , ever morning except Sundays , since January 2013. :roll:
***************************************************************************************************************************************************
Here is a link to the article................

https://www.rt.com/usa/341631-glyphosat ... s-lawsuit/

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
People complakn about, say, arsenic in city water. While the background local water they treasure has a higher content of arsenic.

The charges against Quaker may or may not have grounds. But, I notice that many who complain about what others do as they're working to progress - don't do productive things themselves. But they're good at complaining.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck, was your name on that lawsuit as a complainant? Didn't see it.

Hell No !!!!! After 72 years of eating Oatmeal it is to late for me to change my habits.
I like the idea of killing grass when Mother Nature calls , sure saves a ton of money on Roundup, especially when camping. :lol:
Why all this fuss about the Oatmeal not being all natural items when there are worst cases of false advertising and a lot more items we use that will maim , destroy , kill or harm us on the market.

By the way I had my bowl of Oatmeal this morning along with one Hard Boiled Egg. ( To be Politically correct , A Hard Cooked Egg. :? )
Never figured out the Hard Cooked angle since I boil mine to make Hard Boiled Eggs. :roll:

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Hey all, Quaker is a processor and not a farmer. They have no control over farmers and their farming practices. Farmers sell oats at the elevator and then Quaker buys the oats from there. I'm sure that Quaker even owns some elevators. Oats don't all mature in the field at the same time. Thats why they use to cut them a little green and shock them or leave in a windrow to dry for a few days before combining them. I guess some guys are spraying fields with roundup to kill everything, then they direct cut them with the combine. I used to just wait until the whole field of either oats, wheat or barley was dry and at the right percentage of moisture to keep, before I combined. You might lose some yield to lodging but you didn't have the extra chemical cost involved. I don't farm that much anymore and what I do grow is without chemicals. I used to be a "chemical farmer" like most of the rest but not anymore. It's sad to say but roundup like arsenic and other chemicals it's in the ground now and it's here to stay. It won't be going away. Dave.