Blue Springs | SouthernPaddler.com

Blue Springs

Allen

Jan 17, 2004
central florida
made a lil run with the kiddies out at Blue springs this afternoon. it sure is pretty out there , and that crystal clear spring water is the perfect way to get out paddling and beat the heat at the same time. 8)

i followed the main road for the park all the way to the end where they have parking for RV's and busses. we put in by the beach front where they have the fishing pier on the st. johns river. i carried my 4 yr old daughter Logan in my boat and my 11 yr old daughter Ashley rode with Caleb in his. there was 4 or 5 good sized gators lurking around, and that made for some comedy - my 11 yr old sat with her eyes closed while Caleb paddled past the mossy backs and into the springs run where cold water keeps the gators from getting cozy.

as you paddle up the crystal clear water of the springs run itself, you can see straight down to the bottom. we saw plenty of catfish , breams and turtles. something i almost couldnt believe - the numbers of huge alligator gar swiming around in there, some of them looked to be 5' or 6' long. they were staying pretty near the surface of the water and we passed so close to a few of them you could have reached into the water and touched them. that place is something else , the kids just enjoyed the heck out of seeing all the wildlife swimming so close to us under our boats.

we paddled past the hub bub and chaos of the public swimming area, and beached our boats by the boil for some swimming of our own. after a couple hours cooling off in the water the air felt nice and warm, not uncomfortable at all. no wonder the indians had loved this spot so much...

we stretched out under some trees and ate lunch while watching all the hippies and tourist go by. all them critters around us and i swear people still bout the funniest thing there is to watch. this japanese fella spotted him a blue crab and motioned me over to come have a look at it. i caught it up and he took a pitchur of me holding it for his folks back home. i think i was smiling :x

i also met a fella named troy who asked about the boats we were in, and who told me he was building his own stripper kayak at home. i told em to hit southernpaddler.com and say hello if he had a chance. troy is from louisiana and sure seemed like good people, hell - he even knew what a pirogue was :D hope he stops in here sometime.

well after lunch had settled a bit, we loaded up in our boats and let the current carry us lazily down the spring run and back out into the st johns. the brother and sister team of Ash and Caleb musta been getting tired out , cause they was all cranky with each other an squabling - till we hit the warm waters of the river again and all them gators had both of em hushed up. one of them scaly backs seemed to be late for an important date and swam right steadily by both boats , i could reached out an swatted em with my paddle if i wanted to. i thought my 4 yr old daughter would be nervous , instead she chatted away happily the entire time and did a play by play for everybody on just exactly what was taking place. my 11 yr old daughter Ashley had her eyes closed again , and master Caleb seemed to be concentrating extra hard on his paddling. twas my favorite part of the trip :lol:

im tellin ya , the only way to do any paddling in this kind of heat is hitting some springs somewheres. you make a trip of getting there , you cool off in the water and eat some grits in the shade - then the springs are pushing you back to the landing to help you get home. i plan on making one trip a week all summer long out to some springs soemwheres with the kiddies. cant think of a better way to spend a day outdoors this time of year.

anybody has a sweet spot in central florida they are particular to , let me know and i'll make a point of going there with my squad. :wink:

~ allen

A

Anonymous

Friend allen,

Mitey fine way ta spend the day. Be sho ta take them gals campin'. Plan hard ta see that they have a special time.

Trust me. It will come a time when they dont aim ta spend no time with Daddy cept down ta the mall when yer buyin'. Plant outdoor memories like a tree. When they git older, they'll recall a swell time 'n they'll likely want ta git their pals 'n find Dad ta do it agin. I hope Caleb gits a pichur of the big grin on yer face when that day comes.

It aint the same with Caleb. I reckon he iz yer fishin' buddy frum now on. Its a difference tween boys 'n gals....well, it iz in my way a seein' things. :)

regards,

bearridge

P.S. Everbody down in bayou country knows a pirogue. Zatarains too. Lord never made nothin' else like a cajun. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Allen

Your trip cooled me off thinking about those waters and brought back some good memories of trips in the past.

I will bet anything that ole Kayak Jack is just a wishing he would have been with you to help enjoy his favorite stream side, paddling, lunch.

I just know , he is green with envy since he is way up north and working to boot.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend Kayak Jack,

Becuz ya walk in the classroom cool 'n slow. Not only that, ya call the english teacher Daddy-O. That aint the geezer way. :wink:

regards,

bearridge

A

Anonymous

was back at blue springs this week , seen a mammy manatee with a calf near as big as she was. neato!

im thinking im gonna take the kiddies to a differnt spring next week, an im looking now for a place we can paddle up to th boil an go swimming :)

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Woah!

You brought alot of great memories back, I used to frequent Blue Springs in the very early 70's when I lived in Florida. It was great swimming in those waters.
We used to go to, I believe it was called Alexander Springs too. All an easy ride from Port Orange where I lived. Have been back to FL a few times since, alot has changed in 35 years.

A

Anonymous

Re: Woah!

oldyaker said:
in the very early 70's when I lived in Florida.

Friend oldyaker,

I wuz in the Sunshine State back then too. I wuz a tobacco magnate. I swept sand frum the parkin' lots, watered the grass 'n picked up cigarette butts at a motel on Siesta Key. Ever chance I got I went up on top 'n used my key ta git out on the roof top. It wuz a swell view ta a country boy frum the swamp.

Drove over the Sunshine Parkway bout a week before it fell in cuz a big barge hit it. I met a fella named John (?) playin' guitar in the Sarasota bar scene fer $10, popcorn 'n all the beer ya kin drink. Well, heck....I joined rite up fer that.

Turns out he wuz with the Allman Joys when they first started out down in Florida. We near bout formed a famous band 'n made a heap a money, but I run slap outta money 'n didnt see no percentage in jest pickin' up butts 'n drinkin' beer all nite.

John tole me ta drive over by Macon on my way home. Sez I need ta see a fella named Johnny Sandlin over ta the Capricorn Music Recordin' Studio cuz he knowd him good 'n sez he mite like ta hear the tapes I had made with the Tallahatchie band back in the Delta....'n a few more songs.

I wuz like a muslim headed over ta Mecca. I seen where Duane wuz kilt on hiz motorcikle 'n where Berry wuz kilt on hiz motorcikle one year later....bout two blocks away. [sigh]

Mister Sandlin liked them songs 'n asked where the band wuz. I had ta tell him one wuz flyin' a crop duster, one wuz tween jobs, one had a hellhound on hiz tail (it got him a few months later), two wuz workin' reglar long hour jobs somewhere. He sez come on back 'n talk if we kin reunionize.

Next, I joined up with Duff, Eddie 'n Don 'n formed "Jesse Earl 'n the Blue Moons". We played bout three times before a pal workin' in a music store up ta Memphis called 'n sez "git up here quick az ya kin...its a fella wants a band full time". I figger it wuz a bar deal fer beer 'n popcorn agin, but it warnt.

It wuz a 12 year old boy who had been on the Dean Martin tv show. Hiz dad didnt like the Nashville studio pickers 'n sez he wants a real band ta live out in the Tennessee hills all the time. I never heard a nuthin' like that, so we went on up 'n camped out in a pasture. Rite after the sun come up the cows surrounded us 'n woke uz up. They didnt know rock 'n roll fellas dont git up with the sun.

The boy, Jeff Allen, didnt want ta work with a band ever day. He jest wanted ta ride hiz horse 'n watch rasslin' on the tv. We tole him the rasslin' wuz all fake, but that jest made him mad.

It wuz hard fer a little pardner ta sing our songs. "Down ta Seeds 'n Stems Agin" jest didnt come out rite. Somebody sez "what about the Beatles?" Hiz Dad drove off ta Memphis 'n come back with a heap a Beatles music. Jeff opened 'em up 'n sez "which one iz this?"

I knew I had turnt geezer. He didnt know John frum Ringo. He knew Tanya Tucker cuz she wuz 12 years old 'n on the same tv show with Jeff, but he wuz too young ta know George Harrison frum Harrison Ford.

We worked hard with Jeff.....when he warnt watchin' rasslin' 'er ridin' hiz horse. He could tell all the Jerry Clower tales word fer word.

We went over ta the local funeral home 'n took pichurs fer posters. Jeff's dad wuz gwine ta pay a little pocket money each week, feed us 'n book us. He wuz gwine ta let us keep the money frum all the gigs. We had all the baloney we could want cuz Jeff's grandad had the little country grocery next door. Fer a while it wuz Miracle Whip, Wonder bread, baloney 'n yellow onion sammiches ever day.

One day I woke up 'n figgered it wuz time ta hit the road agin. I hated ta leave my good friends. We set round 'n talked a heap, but I left. Eddie come home a few months later 'n tole how Jeff's dad had got the band a dance over ta the Tennessee Insane Asylum. Eddie sez he never seen the likes of that. Folks wuz full a thorazine 'n dancin' with chairs. [Sounded kinda like Jailhouse Rock on drugs ta me.]

A few weeks after that dance, this fella broke out cuz he wuz bad in debt ta the Avon makeup folks. Seems he had been buyin' that stuff on credit 'n caint pay up.....so he make a break fer it....kinda like the Chief in the Cuckoos Nest. I dont know if he went ta wearin' makeup before they locked him up 'er if he took it up on the inside.

Danged if he didnt end up way out in the hills in front of a country grocery, lookin' ta rob it so he kin pay the Avon folks. Jeffs grandad worked hard fer hiz money so he tole that fella he wuz barkin' at the wrong tree. Fella shot Jeff's grandad dead. The baloney 'n Miracle Whip got tied up in hiz estate. Duff, Don 'n Eddie went hungry fer a while, then come on back home.

Jeff 'n hiz folks left fer New Yawk City 'n bye 'n bye he come up with a new band that Eddie sez wuz purty dang good. They put out a music record called The Jeff Allen Band. [I reckon everbody caint come up with a good band name.] He sez it wuz kinda fun ta see our music influence on a little pardner after he growed up some.

I jest stopped ta googlize on "Jeff Allen Band" 'n seen this one where Jeff seems ta have settled over ta Nashville....'n helpin' a new little pardner make a record.

http://livemusiceurope.com/melanie/

Eddie iz over ta Nashville. He still writes 'n records, but I dont think he haz no web site. Duff haz a bunch a stuff on the web, mostly fer hiz time in the "Tangents", but I rambled enuff ta hold everbody fer quite a while.

I dont figger this wuz the kind a "trip report" the Sparkanator had in mind.

regards,

bearridge

Sometimes the light iz shinin' on me.
Other times I kin barely see, but lately it occurs to me
what a long strange trip its been.
Grateful Dead

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Bro Bar, with yer many talents , next time on the river we'll want to hear a ballad or two from ya. :wink:

Now for back up music you'll want the best that the swamps has to offer.... musicians are a dime a dozen so that won't matter ... it's the instruments that'll cause fame an fortune. I'll bring along an old washing'scrub board. Chuck can lend a banjo, I got this feelin that Al can play a mean harmonica, and th others can bring what ever they are inclined to.

Ol' Charlie won't have nuthin on us with his Devil Went Down to Gorgie song.... Yes sir! The melodies comin frum the river , will have folks comin on down much like they did in Oh Brother Where Art Thou!

~~ Come on down , come on down , Oh sister come on down ...~~~~

swampy