Best Plywood for UJ Build? | SouthernPaddler.com

Best Plywood for UJ Build?

drydocked

Jan 5, 2012
Tahoka, TX
First time builder, here. I just got my plans from Uncle John's and am struggling with which plywood to use. I live in desolate, barren West Texas and marine ply is simply nonexistent here. I have read conflicting opinions about 1/4" Luaun especially when it comes to scarfing it for length. It is readily available up here, though, and cheap. I'd appreciate any insights, experiences.

Drydocked "Kevin"

JEM

good quality ply is getting harder and harder to find.

Things to look for:
-exterior grade (brown or black glue bonding the plies....look at an edge)
-even thickness plies(much of today's junk ply has thin face veneers)
-marine grade, typically BS1088, ensures there's no voids between the plies. The only "non-marine" plywood I know that is like this in underlayment (for kitchens and bath).
-I'd buy from a lumber yard if you can help it. The big box stores are hit and miss on their quality. A lumber yard should have more specific knowledge and can help you better.

drydocked

Jan 5, 2012
Tahoka, TX
Thanks Matt, I appreciate your advice. I will be calling my 84 Lumber and some others today. May be a special order thing but probably well worth the trouble.

Kevin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I get my Luann from a shop ( lumber yard ) that specializes in it and other wood panels for home construction. Best thing to do is to look at the sheet and see if you can see any voids in it before purchasing it. Usually propping it up so the light is behind it helps in that.

If I get it from a big box store then I will normally go threw a lot of sheets looking for the ones I like. The pirogue will take two sheets to make it so if you do get a bad one it is not that costly to go back and get a replacement.

As far as the scarf joints I like to use a butt block. The panels are placed together and then epoxy saturated along the seam , about three inches on each side. After that cures then I place a strip of fiberglass over the seam and epoxy it in place. Next step is to repeat the process on the back side after the panel is flipped over.
If you do that make sure some plastic ( a good size piece ) is under that seam so the epoxy does not get on your work bench , keeping the panels from becoming a part of your work bench.

The boats that I have made , that way and really strong and hold together since there is another coat of epoxy and glass covering the boat ( both sides ) when it is completed. This way the boat ( the wood ) is protected and that seam has a double layer of glass and epoxy over it.

drydocked

Jan 5, 2012
Tahoka, TX
Thanks for the insight. I like the sound of the butt joint. Sure seems like it would be much stronger than the scarf and a lot less hassle. Besides, it will only be noticeable on the inside of the boat. I appreciate the shopping tips for the Luaun. I'm brand new to the forum and really enjoy it. For me, it's a mental escape from the stresses of work and home.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I used Luan from one of the big box stores. One side was "show" grade, I guess you could say, the other side was not - patches and what not. I don't recall finding any major voids to speak of. Scarfing the panels was a bit of a chore, but they came out pretty good. I used a random orbital sander for that task.

islandpiper

i've built three UJ's......all with Luan. it makes an affordable boat, light weight, easy to work. GLASS BOTH SIDES. Butt joints at the center, I learned the hard way. I'd rather have a luan boat that lasts five years than to wait five years to build one which will last for ten. JUST BUILD IT, and then use it, and post lots of pics. piper

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
[quoteI'd rather have a luan boat that lasts five years than to wait five years to build one which will last for ten. JUST BUILD IT, and then use it, and post lots of pics. piper][/quote]

Absolutely.

MM