Best fire wood ever!! | SouthernPaddler.com

Best fire wood ever!!

Strongman332

Jul 7, 2010
Georgetown Kentucky
I just recently went on a "camping" trip. (curse my parents for buying the RV) any way I still insist that we hive a campfire, and try my hardest to make them cook on it instead of the grill. well normally I just scavenge wood from empty camps. now normally I don't get very good wood but this was the exception. not only did I find the usual leftovers. I found quite a surprise, half of a bourbon barrel. it not uncommon to find these where I live after all it is Kentucky, but usually they sell from $50-$150, so finding one in a campground is odd. of-course it was in pieces and missing a lid which made it worthless, so I decided i would it burn it. BEST IDEA EVER! I threw a piece on the fire, and then the entire campsite smelled just like makers mark. so I Waited till the next morning and we used the rest to cook breakfast. IT WAS THE BEST BACON I HAVE EVER HAD! my only regret is I did not have more of this wood to take home.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper San is correct, nothing so as as the sound of an empty malted milk shake, and the sight of an empty bourbon barrel. When making skis from staves of them, I found that barrels of 180 proof made faster skis than those of only 150 proof. Must have something to do with torpedo fuel, I guess.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Heck, Jack was around when rocks were invented. I know 'cause while we were watching the first dirt being made he told me all about it.