Assists for aging fishermen | SouthernPaddler.com

Assists for aging fishermen

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
With 80 years on the planet only a day away, I’m finding that physically some things are just more difficult .This has encouraged me to build more stable lighter weight boats, easier to load and move and a higher seat has made getting in and out easier. I’ve been working on two modifications that I hope will help me keep fishing.
The first is a standup assist bar. There are some commercial bars for kayaks, they look difficult to adapt to a pirogue. I have the materials to copy the commercial assist, but have given this idea a try first.

PVC and a clamp on thwart
1685282785682.png

Pretty easy to put up and I can take it down when fishing.
1685282785884.png

Compete with a bag made by my bride.
1685282786098.png

This serves my purpose well. My seat in this boat is 9.5 inches, so next is a simple way to raise the seat with me sitting in the seat, to make standing up easier. I hope I won’t need that for a while. But,standby for that development cause I plan to fish many more years
Any one else have suggestions?

Reactions: BEARS BUDDY

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
1st , Happy Birthday.
Wouldn't a good old fashion Oak Cane help with getting up and down. Just asking because when my back was giving me fits last year. I used a Trekking pole ( A backpackers Trekking pole ) as an assistance in getting up and down. Preparing for the next go-round ( I know it's coming ) I got an old fashion Cane ( Solid Oak ) from Brazos Walking Sticks & Canes for when it will be needed.

6 more months till my 80th but my wife keep insisting I'm already there. Then I reminded her if it was true then she is 6 months older since I'm 3 years ahead of her , that stopped her from adding years to mine. :oops:

502-3000-0248_TOCC-T__40621.1643401272.jpg

Back to boats.......................

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Very innovative. I like that you can take it down so as not to interfere wile fishing.
Probably would be hard to do using PVC but to avoid the hassle of taking it down and storing it to fish it might could be hinged at the gunnels. It could then be folded forward and laid flat along side the gunnels. A short piece of rope/cord attached to the top cross bar could be used to pull it up when you wished to stand.
I like the storage bag but do you feel funny wearing pants with only one leg? :rolleyes: :)

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
1st , Happy Birthday.
Wouldn't a good old fashion Oak Cane help with getting up and down. Just asking because when my back was giving me fits last year. I used a Trekking pole ( A backpackers Trekking pole ) as an assistance in getting up and down. Preparing for the next go-round ( I know it's coming ) I got an old fashion Cane ( Solid Oak ) from Brazos Walking Sticks & Canes for when it will be needed.

6 more months till my 80th but my wife keep insisting I'm already there. Then I reminded her if it was true then she is 6 months older since I'm 3 years ahead of her , that stopped her from adding years to mine. :oops:

502-3000-0248_TOCC-T__40621.1643401272.jpg

Back to boats.......................
Thanks Chuck, A cane does work pretty well so does a pull up rope. One of our daughters gave me a cane with four spread out short legs. The rope was getting difficult and for a while my balance was off shortly after standing too quick. I may go back to the cane shortly. Your cane has some character!

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Very innovative. I like that you can take it down so as not to interfere wile fishing.
Probably would be hard to do using PVC but to avoid the hassle of taking it down and storing it to fish it might could be hinged at the gunnels. It could then be folded forward and laid flat along side the gunnels. A short piece of rope/cord attached to the top cross bar could be used to pull it up when you wished to stand.
I like the storage bag but do you feel funny wearing pants with only one leg? :rolleyes: :)
Right now this rig is mostly to stay in my comfort zone :). I bought the hinges and fittings to copy a commercial stand up, but may stick with this for a while. I tried out my self rising seat today but found out I don't need it yet! It's on standby.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
" The rope was getting difficult and for a while my balance was off shortly after standing too quick."

I found that happens when you try to get up to quickly. Last February I had a nurse get really mad at me when I got up to fast. The room was wobble for a short time. Best to take it slow. I'm retired so why not take my time doing anything. After all the Turtle beat the Rabbit in that race. Might be one reason why turtles live so darn long and Rabbits don't , turtles take their time.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
" The rope was getting difficult and for a while my balance was off shortly after standing too quick."

I found that happens when you try to get up to quickly. Last February I had a nurse get really mad at me when I got up to fast. The room was wobble for a short time. Best to take it slow. I'm retired so why not take my time doing anything. After all the Turtle beat the Rabbit in that race. Might be one reason why turtles live so darn long and Rabbits don't , turtles take their time.
I know that's some good advice chuck I need to pay attention