Ask Oldyaker | SouthernPaddler.com

Ask Oldyaker

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
When making spaghetti for two how much do you recommend? I say about the size of a nickle in circumference.
Paul

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
spagetti for two

I always make the whole box that way we can eat it the rest of the week..... :lol: seriously I always cook way too much but usually cook about a third of the box, depends on appetites.

Sorry to jump in before Oldyaker...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Had sgetti ( spaghetti ) last night and I always use the whole (16oz) box for the meal.
This way we have left overs , snacks during the day and supper for the following night. Heck I even like it for breakfast.

Plus the sauce has about 2 pounds of meat in it and don't forget the fresh Parmesan cheese to grate over the sgetti. Not the prepackaged stuff , the real cheese in a block. :D

"O" ... If for only one person , The sgetti can be zip locked in individual bags and saved (frozen) for reheat and eat camping suppers.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Last week a sister-in-law brung us some chicken spaghetti, my favorite. I like red meat spaghetti too. I never met a spaghetti I didnt like.....long az I got my table shaker of Zatarains on me. :wink: I like ta put vegetables in spaghetti. I added some stir fried cauliflower, bell pepper 'n onions to one bowl of chicken spaghetti. I figger there iz some kinda "spaghetti" rule on how ya gotta make it 'er God chunks a bolt at ya, but I never give that kinda thinkin' the time of day. We'd still be scairt ta sail too far west 'n fall off the edge of the world. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

But I am a superstitious man...and so if some unlucky accident should befall my youngest son, if some police officer should accidentally shoot him, or if he should hang himself in his cell, or if my son is struck by a bolt of lightning, then I will blame some of the people here. That, I could never forgive, but...aside from that, let me swear by the souls of my grandchildren that I will never be the one to break the peace we have made. Don Corleone

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Chicken spaghetti that sounds good. I'm not sure what Oldyakers gonna say about it but we aren't all eyetalion.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Paul,

Once upon a time, long ago 'n far away, this nice ole lady invited us over fer supper. She wuz a widow 'n livin' off her socialized security, so her times wuz hard too. She fixed "Lumberjack" spaghetti. It wuz noodles with salt, butter 'n ketchup. When yer hongry it wuz good eatin'. I kin think of a heap a food that would eat good with salt, butter 'n ketchup....but not grits. :wink:

regards
bearridge

It would be thought a hard government that should tax its people one tenth part. Benjamin Franklin

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
KETCHUP? :shock: On Pasta! :shock: :shock: :evil:
HELL NO!@!^&*

How much pasta per person? Granny sez 1# for 4 to six persons depending on how big of eaters they are...I kin a quarters diameter worth if the sauce is good and it ain't ketchup.

Sunday at Nonna's house was a big event, some type of pasta of course was served with a variety of other dishes and liters of Poppa's homemade Dago Red.

Granny made her sauce on Saturday afternoon for Sunday Dinner as it simmered a long time and was a labor of love. Pork neck bones was her secret tasty sauce. If I showed up early on Sunday morning, I couldn't take the torture of waiting as the aroma from the sauce was driving me crazy. She would get a small bowl, cut a slice of her home made Italian bread and ladle some sauce over it and give it to me to carry me over until dinner. HELL! All it did was made me want more of her home bread with sauce over it!
Darn I miss that woman.... :cry:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Basic Italian Sauce and meat ball recipe...

Basic Italian Sauce and meat ball recipe...

SPAGHETTI SAUCE

* 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying
* 1 pound meat pieces (such as chuck roast, pork neck bones, country-style spareribs and/or sausage)
* Italian Meatballs (optional, recipe below)
* 1/2 onion, chopped fine
* 1 clove garlic, chopped fine (or garlic powder)
* 1/4 cup of dry red wine, optional
* 2 28-ounce cans plum tomatoes (such as San Marzano)
* 2 cups water, approximately
* 6-ounce can tomato paste
* 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon oregano, or to taste
* 4 to 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil)
* Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add meat and, on high heat, brown it on all sides to lock in the juices. Reduce to medium heat.

Add finely chopped onion and garlic and saute until softened. Add 1/4 cup of red wine, if desired, for flavor. Puree the tomatoes by straining them or using a food mill, and add them with their juice to the saucepan.

Fill each tomato can halfway with water (approximately 1 cup for each can), stir to loosen any tomatoes still in the can, and add this to the sauce as well.

Add tomato paste, parsley, oregano, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to incorporate all ingredients and simmer, covered, for at least an hour. (This is where you'd add meatballs, recipe below.) Stir sauce occasionally to prevent sticking. Serve the sauce over any cooked pasta of your choice and serve the meat as a separate dish.

Variation: 2 28-ounce cans of canned tomato sauce or puree may be substituted for the tomatoes and the tomato paste. You may also substitute 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix for the dried basil, oregano, and parsley.

Serves 8 to 10.

Italian meatballs

* 1 pound ground chuck or ground sirloin
* 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley (or dried parsley flakes)
* 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup bread crumbs
* 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or fresh garlic clove, chopped fine)
* 1 tablespoon water
* Salt and pepper to taste

Mix together all the ingredients.

Shape the mixture into round balls about 2 inches in diameter. Drop into a pot of cooked sauce, which has been brought to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook in the sauce for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta, or on an Italian bun.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Now that's what I was hoping to get around too Jimmie the recipe. There gonna be a new chef in the town if I can keep getting these. If the just was an authentic Italian grocery store here like the Graziano Bros. store in Des Moines Ia. I could make me some supper.
Thank Oldyaker
Paul

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That recipe oldyaker gave you is not that good , trust me on that.

If you follow it as directed you will only come back for 6th's or 7th's , one helping is only the appetizer , making you want a lot more.

The rest are pure heaven. :D Now when you are out camping with him , it is raining ( you know how he draws the rain and cold in ) they are even better.

The Odesto River trip and this was my dessert......... For some reason the meat balls just keep vanishing. :roll:
edisto%20011.jpg

Chuck.
Dam I hated to stop eating and get the camera to take this picture. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Eye-TAL-yun spaghetti - second best thing in the world to eat.

"O" Boy , Look out , the world is coming to an end ....

I have to agree with Jack on this one . :shock: ... The best and Blue Ribbon winners are the little wieners , Vienna's , with Ritz Crackers. :p Ain't nothing better then those gourmet camping delights , unless it is two cans of them.

Chuck