Any suggestions on staying dry and warm? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Any suggestions on staying dry and warm?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I would agree that waders should not be needed in a boat. I really don't think they would help to insulate you from the cold either with perspiration not being able to evaporate away you might be dry on the outside and damp on the inside. We're still talking about Florida right. Do you all really fish in a squall?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Let's face it, waders - or any other appurtenance - filled with 15-40 pounds of water may not pull you under, they can damned sure keep you from exiting the water. Myth, proven fact, guess, what ever.

I would not pit on a pair of hip boots or waders anywhere near water. In the store, OK, but too many people have died while using these non-lethal non-necessities.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
For duck hunting we used waders and used one of the army's web belts around the chest to seal them. Hunting Florida waters it is not uncommon to step into a gator hole and before you know it you are in over your head , or dang close to it.

The belt sealed the top and you can make it back to the shallow water or in that case the edge of the Gator hole. The only deaths that came about is when some green horns were hunting and stepped in a hole and did not have the top sealed. Plus I understand they PANICKED , which is really not a good thing.

When wade fishing it is usually hip boots ( I still have a pair and use them ). The trick in both cases to stay out of trouble is to shuffle your feet ( if you can't see the bottom) so you know the depth before you place any weight on that foot. The only problem I have ever had with waders is when the suckers leaked ( which is always on the coldest day) , plus we never wore them in the boat.

If you use your head for something besides a hat rack you can be real safe in either of them.
Best thing for summer time wade fishing is an old pair of sneakers and jeans, the jeans protect your legs , especially in salt water from the jelly fish. :D

Sorry about getting off the subject of staying warm , the best thing for that is a good rain suit , water and wind proof, over your clothing.
I put off getting the Gore Tex for a long time and really regret it now that I have a set. It breathes ( Lets the moisture escape) unlike the rest which holds the body moisture in and makes it a sauna.

Chuck.
PS. It's the old adage .... "You get what you pay for"

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
On this subject, the nylon rain gear that has Goretex in, needs some maintenance other than just plunking it in a washing machine and a dryer. the outside layer needs to have the water repellency refreshed every couple or three washes. Otherwise, it will get wet and clingy cold. water isn't necessarily coming through the Goretex, just soaking into the outer skin.

My treatment of choice is to buy spray-on Nikwax and hang up the garment as it comes out of the washer, spray all over - knees and butt double on pants and shoulders double on jackets - then chuck it into the dryer. www.campmor.com can provide Nikwax in either spray or to be added to the washer load. I prefer the spray because I may want to wash stuff other than just rain gear, and I can double up coverage in selected spots.

Trying to economize, I once tried Thompson's Deck Seal. It can mess up the Goretex so I don't do that any more.

kee41

Jul 25, 2005
Mary Esther Florida
Well, my employees surprised me with a Gore-Tex suit as my Christmas present. Used it Saturday and I can't believe I didn't buy one years ago. Thanks for all the input.

Kelvin

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Code word for cold

Having lived in Alaska for 2 1/2 years under the auspices of the military, I just want to jump in here.
Cold air will kill you slow, cold water will kill you fast.
REAL FAST!!
Hypothermia disorients the human mind. Water will pull heat out of your body 4 times faster than air. Most cold water drownings happen when the person first hits the water. Cold water makes you gasp, whether you want to or not. All cold water drownings are not from the waders, they're from the water.
Even if you're bundled up like an Arctic Paratrooper, you run a high risk of gulping in a lung full of water when you first go under.
If you survive the initial dunking, you've got minutes before you lose control of your extremities, and just a few more before you'll lose conscieness.
Having been made to go thru training to experience the initial stages of hypothermia, I can tell you first hand it's nothing to screw around with.

Please procede with extreme caution.

Lee

Reactions: FrankAS

kee41

Jul 25, 2005
Mary Esther Florida
Thanks for the info. First of all, I am in Florida and all I want to do is keep the water that drips off the paddle away from my body. It wasn't too long ago that several Army Rangers perished due to Hypethermia just a couple of miles behind my house. I truly understand the dangers and am very cautious. If I go in the water, the game is over. I am never far from the car and never, never alone! But most importantly if the water temp is below 60 then I am definitely out of the game.

It is still not fool proof. Hypethermia can occur in 66 degree water, we should always be aware of this danger.

Kelvin

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Here's another way of looking at this survival in cool to cold water conditions. Let's say that we somehow goof up and go into the water. How many of you guys know how to GET BACK INTO YOUR BOAT ALL BY YOURSELF? We may be found floating near our boat - belly up.

In case - just in case - I can't rescue myself or my buddies are off somewhere else, I carry an EPIRB. I carry the kind that automatically knows where it is (GPS is integral to the instrument - they call it on board) so that it squawks both SOS and immediate location on the FIRST squawk.

This is important. One kind will let them know within a nautical mile - the other lets them know in under a 100 yards. AND sends a homing beacon to the inbound chopper.

There are several kinds out there, I chose ACR AquaFix 406 EPIRB - 406MHz GPS I/O Personal EPIRB - 2797.4.

They are now $80 cheaper than when I bought mine this summer. http://www.anchorexpress.com/product_de ... m?pid=3886

An even lighter weight one is http://www.anchorexpress.com/product_de ... m?pid=7510 (you must ADD it to the shopping cart to see the lower price)

There are other units out there. Incredibly - not all of them are water proof! DUHHH And, I wouldn't waste my money on one that does not have GPS integral to it. Fooling around in a survival situation trying to get your GPS to talk to the EPIRB is a stupid way to save $100. Kind of like trying to economise on a parachute.

These instruments are meant to save your life in an EMERGENCY situation, not an uncomfortable or inconvenient situation. You are calling in SAR (Search and Rescue) services for real. But, it's probably nicer than drowning or freezing.

I spent $550 and hope it was a complete waste of money. (Meaning, I hope that I never need to squawk MAYDAY for real).

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Having been made to go thru training to experience the initial stages of hypothermia, I can tell you first hand it's nothing to screw around with.

Please procede with extreme caution.

YES!

Good post mate. If I may add here, one does not need to be in cold water to suffer bad hypothermia. Wet hypothermia is also very dangerous - even in the tropics. Not as bad as the arctic but be sure it will kill you. It may take longer, but even in the warm tropical waters will eventually sap your core temperature till you lose consiousness then drown.

Happens here pretty regularly.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Hypothermia in warmer waters is even more insidious than in cold. Because we tend to get lackadaisical and think it can't happen here. WRONG!

Just like dehydration can happen in the snow as well as in the hot sun. And, the debilitating effects on the mind are similar to those of hypothermia.

As paddlers, we face an array of natural hazards. Fortunately, most are recognizable, and preventable. We ourselves may be the worst hazard we face. Human pride and stupidity abound, - and we carry it with us wherever we go. I never leave mine at home.

The buddy system is a very reliable method of staying alive in the outback. I like a solo trip, but we have to be ever so much more cautious when alone.

Reactions: FrankAS

FrankAS

May 2, 2017
Ocala National Forest
Friend Mick,

Kelvin lives in what used ta be a very special part of the Sunshine State. They dont have cold water.....unless they are makin' margaritas. :wink: However, if it rained on him in winter, he mite git chilly. :lol: Ya'll make margaritas downunder? Miz Bear kin drink one.....kinda like a legal date rape drug. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields
What is the meaning of :mrgreen: