Another Wally World paddle | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Another Wally World paddle

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
"Back in the paddle again"

I like the wally -world paddle. My only comment would be that you cut half the shaft back on each one. Epoxy the two back together so the shaft is one paddle thickness. Wrap jute twine around the lap joint, and epoxy the jute too.
All this talk of dripping water is making me long for the days of spring and summer!!

Lee

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Just curious on what length double paddles y'all prefer. I have mine adjusted to 88" now, but I'll experiment again this weekend. I also noticed that "real" kayak paddles have smaller blades than standard type canoe paddles. I'm undecided about cutting the Wally World paddles down to a smaller size. Anyone experiment with this?

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, Jack. I just finished raising the platform that my seat sits on 3/4". I'm going out in the morning and I'll do some more experimenting with the length of the paddle.

Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the group at the "Piperthon".

Later, Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Settled on 88" overall length. Time to make the cut. I lined up and rechecked everything. This picture is for you, Jack. Notice the clutter left over from the latest knife project. Delivered it to the customer-- now it's time for the fun stuff.
sidebyside.jpg

I measured out about an 8 to 1 slope and cut both paddles out wiith hand rip saw( whimpy bandsaw couldn't handle it). The blue thing on the right is an unsuccessful drip ring made from a piece of foam pool noodle.

taper.jpg

Sanded the two pieces even on the table sander and sweetened them up with a sanding block. Used Titebond III and brass pins and clamped it up, checking for straightness. Go figure, Wal Mart paddles are not perfectly straight so I had to eyeball it.

clamped.jpg

When the glue dries I'll wrap the joint with cord and saturate it with epoxy.

Joey

islandpiper

jdupre'.......very cool paddle work. bring it with you if it fits in the car and we'll compare.. Pre-aligning and clamping are critical for a good joint later.

When i wrapped mine i ran about twenty feet of nylon seine twine out, tied one end to the carport and the kept LOTS tension on it as I walked ahead, turning the paddle assembly, winding it on.

Nice knife too!! show us some "in process" pictures next time you make one.

Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Piper, that's a good idea on that wrapping procedure. I'll bet it's easier on the hands than pulling with one hand and twisting with the other.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Noticed that the paddle edges looked a bit thick so I scribed about a 1/4" section down the center of each edge and planed them down with my spokeshave, rasp and sandpaper. I then went over the whole paddle with 80 grit. This is the after picture. The edges started out at +or- 7/16" (yeah, Wal Mart paddles are big on the plus and minus thing )and ended up a little less than 1/4".
edgemeasure.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I agree, Joey. Fine tuning a paddle is, as Keith sez, "by eye and hand". (Or, is that Seedtick?) There are many hydrodynamic theories going on a paddle, but after having watched one work the water for a while, it gets easier to see what should and shouldn't be there.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack wrote " ...."by eye and hand". .....what should and shouldn't be there...."

I love working in 3d and 2d( did a little oil painting) because you can tweak things until they just "look right". I think that is something you can't necessarily learn--form and proportion.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Now that's a party machine! I'd like to have to have the scrap aluminum rights for the beer cans emptied on that vessel. On party day, I can just see the pickups and IROC Camaros lined up on the bank.

Joey