Another SOF | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Another SOF

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
Hot Springs area. I live about 10 minutes from Remel Dam on Lake Catherine in a small community called Magent Cove.

Jeffs book has the plans for the Poco Barta which is 17' X 23". Which I'm leaning strongly toward. I like that fantail design working as a rudder. I still have not ordered my baltic birch but I'm hoping to on the way home today. I was just going to modify the sea rider plans to give it a 24" beam or baisically make a single chine Sea Tour 17 EXP.

Have you tried the Helmsmans Spar on nylon? Is it not an oil based polyurathane? My experance with Min Wax products has been very positive on wood and they are easy to locate.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I haven't messed with nylon....And if I had it to do over again I'd of built the Poco Barta instead of the Curlew.....
Mater a fact I'm trying to design one using kayakfoundry....

You ought to check it out..free to upload the program to you're comp. they have a forum, you can check out others designs , print off forms and build one...And if you see one you like you can add more beam with the click of the mouse..

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Another point with Kayakfoundry....in the page showing the forms that you print out, they can be replaced with forms that you can space wherever you want them.....

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
WOW! Thanks!!!

A friend of mine introduced me to Yostwerks about 3 months ago and got me started down this road of boat building. He and I will both be able to make good use of this info. On the Arkansas Canoe Club website he is Captain Dan. He has a stitch and glue on his to do list and this may be helpful. My self I'm thinkng a strip boat of cedar or cyprus.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
An update I did later this summer but never posted....Redid the rudder to downsize yet add weight to the blade to keep it down.....Ant the ultimate foot control is comfortable..just move the stick side-to-side and still have a foot platform to push against....And relocated the rod holders....
rudder_zps0c9e0cbc.jpg

rudderup_zps6a73e52a.jpg

ruddercontrols_zpsf113861b.jpg