Another Hairy Boat. | SouthernPaddler.com

Another Hairy Boat.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys, not a build this time, but Robin and I are doing a run up out Mary River with the local canoe and kayak club tomorrow.

The run is 24 miles and for a change, I brought our old tandem sea kayak out of retirement. :D We haven't used this boat in a couple of years and because we are both not as paddle-fit as we would like to be, we thought this one was the best option.

The boat in question is a Dusky Bay double, in kevlar, made in New Zealand and is the most popular tandem sea kayak in Aust and NZ.

20 feet long, very fast and manouverable and very seaworthy. we both got excited, just lifting her off the racks today. :D

DuskyBay003640x480.jpg

Going up!

DuskyBay005640x480.jpg

On

DuskyBay009640x480.jpg

Ready to go! :D

Duskybay14640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

We like this boat a lot but she is a little big and heavy for us to load & unload and I wouldn't like to have to cary her too far. We have had her for years ow but don't get to use her too often anymore.

She performs very well in the water but the rest of it is just too hard. We just got back from our trip up the Mary. Will post a trip report after I have had a little lie down. :lol: Robin has allready gone to bed.

islandpiper

Mick, the only real answer is for you to quit work and buy a place RIGHT ON THE WATER. with a big boat shed and an electric hoist on a tramway that you can select a boat and with the push of a button, drop it gently into the water. Have a nice big flatscreen TV in the lounge area, near the beer chiller, recliner chairs for your mates, hot tub for the late night relaxation after a day of paddling.

If you need help moving the boats to their new home just tell us and a couple of guys will come to help. I'll bring my pipes to help keep them motivated.

Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I like the addition of your rollers at the rear of your rack. When you get around to it, could you maybe post a pic of your setup?

G'day BL & Ozzie, No problem mates, Will post some detail further down. :D

G'day Chuck,

It looks like a Roller Loader to me.
www.RollerLoader.com

Similar, but not quiet the same. I made this one before I discovered the delights of the internet :D

I was wondering why Mick inverted the kayak when it has travel covers over the cockpits and could be transported upright.

Petrol has just reached Aud $1.29 per litre here. (not sure how much that converts into US gallons) I inverted it because I think it is more aerodynamic that way :D

Piper, I would love a place by the water, but they are just way too expensive now.

Some detail on my loader,

I bought a cheap furniture trolly from a cheap chinese imports mob for $20.00.

BoatLoader001640x480.jpg

I only wanted the wheels and pneumatic tyres and the axle.

I welded up a steel holding frame to mount to the roof of my SUV and added a boat trailer roller onto the axle between the wheels. This allows the kayak to roll up and onto the wheels.

BoatLoader003640x480.jpg

BoatLoader007640x480.jpg

Welded a couple of lugs onto the kayak carry bar

BoatLoader008640x480.jpg

BoatLoader010640x480.jpg

That is in turn, bolted to the BS roof rack that came with the car.

Added a piece of pool noodle across where the loader sits against the paintwork of the car.
BoatLoader013640x480.jpg

And the rack just slips into some holes in the lugs and holds it there while I load. :D

BoatLoader012640x480.jpg

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Interesting I'm considering a truck rack so I don't have to license a trailer I am capable of building with metal although my welding is not more than suspect.