and, Seasons Roll On | SouthernPaddler.com

and, Seasons Roll On

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Fall is over now, and a pre-winter is here. Only a few, isolated trees - omes hidden in between sheltering buildings - have any colored leaves at all. In most places, only a few gnarled, browned leaves remain in place. All their brethren have flown away. Many of the damned things went into our eavestroughs!

For several mornings now, we've awakened to a light dusting of snow. Those eloquently beautiful flakes, light and airy in their very nature, that float slowly down to gently settle all over. The kinds that, when we were smaller children, we strove to catch on our tongues. Mainly though, they wetted our faces.

Long vees and echelons of geese ply the skies. They are working out, strengthening muscles for flying all day long. Soon, most of them will be gone too. Oddly, some remain. There are ponds, some are sewage ponds, where they live over the winter. Interesting.

The sandhill cranes seem to have left a couple of weeks ago. Though kind of majestic looking, I don't think they are as smart as Canadian geese. They stand around, gazing imperioisly off into space, looking like great thoughts are rattling aroind in their heads. And then, they step out in front of an approaching plane. When a Canadian honker is in front of me, they nearly always give an insulting scowl as they move. Or, immediately after they did move if it was closer.

Holiday-itus is approaching. A time of the year when productivity goes into the toilet. TV gets partly saturated with Christmas programs. There must be four - maybe five - basic story lines out there. Hallmark pours gooey syrup over them, tucks in a few unknown actors and actresses, studs the cast with one, aging star, and cranks it out as an original. AARRGGHH!! It has the same effect as syrup of ipecac, the stuff you administer if someone swallows poinon, to make them vomit it up.

Julie's birthday is in a few weeks now. I've set it up so family is gathering in a centrally located town for dinner. That will officially start my holiday season. Then later, on the day before Christmas, is mine. December is a celebratory season around here.