AM READY! | SouthernPaddler.com

AM READY!

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
Been building this boat for months now...in my head. Got EVERYTHING i need including eyebolt for my rope and eye hooks for tying things off, etc...I have only one question. Gonna be using polyester and was wondering when i go to make my "Butt Joints" do i have ta put the wax in it to make sure it cures?

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Guys, he is using polyester resin, not epoxy. Different animal. I'll admit I know nothing about it except what I've Googled since reading his post this morning.

The esters come in two types: waxed and unwaxed. The unwaxed resins are for laminating, because another layer can be applied on top of the first without any surface preparation other than cleaning. The waxed resins are for the final coat. As they cure, the wax "floats" to the top, blocking air and allowing the surface to cure. After cure, you wash the wax off with a solvent and you can sand the surface. If you don't use a waxed resin, or if you don't wash the wax off, it takes about 9 seconds to completely ruin an expensive resin fiber sanding disk by gumming it up with uncured resin.

Google the terms "wax polyester resin" and you'll see what I'm seeing.

Wish I could help, fenix1, but this is outside my realm of knowledge. Try Google, it is my friend, and could be yours, too.

Mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mike
I realize he is using poly.
10 of my boats have been constructed with poly , the stretch wrap and poly work great and with epoxy also .
I have used it on both.
Ron
I used poly from Home Depot and some I ordered from US composites , no problems with either

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
What "Mike" said is what i'm talkin bout...think probably have to use the "wax" on the joints otherwise wont be able ta sand them smooth. Was just wondering if anybody else used polyester resin so as could steer me in the right direction. Anyways, live on Toledo Bend Reservoir in Louisiana and the winds been blowin' this evening big time coming in from east Texas across the lake and aint supposed ta let up till Monday so since i don't like doing things with the wind gonna blowin' like that gonna go get my Luann Tuesday morning and get started...am SO looking forward to this! Me and that little boat are gonna catch "bookoo" fish! Gonna be able ta get into waters those big Bass rigs can't! Gonna be hangin' trotlines and yo-yo's big time AND Bass fishing. Stumbling upon "Uncle Johns" website and this one probably saved my life...lost my wife little over 5 years ago and since then i quit fishing, hunting, bbq'ing, fish frying, gardening, and most everything else. Turned into a damned old recluse. Saw UJ's website months ago and started thinking back almost 40 years ago of all the fish i caught and the joy of experiencing Nature sitting in the little 10' pirogue i built. Had it for bout 4 years till somebody stole it outta the back of my truck one night...never built another. Anyways...decided that life is a gift and i've wasted the last 5 years of mine. Finally realized that's probably not what my Wife would have wanted. So, i've tilled the ground for a Garden, have did my much needed "Spring Cleaning", built 4 Trotlines(200 hooks), bought 3 dozen Yo-Yo's, bought my fishing license, and decided ta join the human race once more. I really appreciate all of ya here and your' advice and comments. My digital camera gave up the ghost so wont be able ta show you all my build but once i finish my boat i'll find a camera somewhere and at least be able to post a picture of what she looks like...and she's gonna be "purdy"! Talk to ya another week or so...Charlie

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
These "yo-yo's" are neat little fish catchers. Actually the name is "Whites Auto fishers". They have a spring in them and after a fish takes the bait and it "trips" the latch on them the spring sets the hook. Have used them for over 40 years and have caught an unbelievable amount of Catfish and Crappie with them. Remember back in the late 60's they were $8 a Dozen...now there $35 BUT they work really well. Can be used anytime with success but have used mine mostly at night to catch White and Black Crappie. Usually bait them with "Shiners"(minnows). Will set usually 3 dozen out right before dusk tying them to tree limbs off the cypress trees near shore. Usually set one bout 3-4' deep and the next one within a few inches below the surface. After i "run" them bout 4 hours later i can tell whether they're hitting deep or near the surface and then reset them at the best depth. Usually run them 3 times and by daybreak have a 48qt cooler full of "slabs". Catches alot bigger fish at night. Can tie them off off tree limbs, stumps, boathouses, and even heard from a friend here in Louisiana who used to live in "Pinnconning" up there in your' neighborhood that used them to ice fish with. They work really well and i'm just itchin' to get my boat built this week so i can go dunk mine in the "Bend"...

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
fenix1,

Since you are on Toledo Bend you probably already know the yo-yos are not legal in Texas waters. Just a word of caution in case you didn't know.

Mike

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I still have some yo-yo's that I can't use. I will keep them around in case they are needed in the unforeseeable future. I never go to Academy without getting a package of hooks. Are yo-yo's legal in La. I would like to know why Texas made them illegal. Sounds like fenix1 is going to have some fun.
Bob

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Wannabe said:
I still have some yo-yo's that I can't use. I will keep them around in case they are needed in the unforeseeable future. I never go to Academy without getting a package of hooks. Are yo-yo's legal in La. I would like to know why Texas made them illegal. Sounds like fenix1 is going to have some fun.
Bob

According to page 13 of this brochure they are legal in Louisiana. I'm not sure when they became illegal in Texas, but I remember seeing them in stores and dangling from trees on the lakes many years ago. I only pointed this out since Toledo Bend is on the border and lies withing both Texas and Louisiana. I'd hate to see a friend from Louisiana get caught on the Texas side doing something that is legal on his side.

Mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Yo Yo have been illegal for a lot of years in TX ,
I ask a game warden about them and he said they would reel the fish up to the surface letting the fish die and there was no way to release live illegal length fish.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I had to check and Cabelas sells them .
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... tId=701933

Not good in Florida according to this rule.
Game fish may only be taken with pole and line or rod and reel. There is no limit on the number of rods an angler may use.

Freshwater fish may not be taken by use of any free-floating, unattached device, or by taking of fish or wildlife with firearms, explosives, electricity, spear gun, poison or other chemicals. The taking of fish by underwater swimming or diving is prohibited. It is unlawful to sell, offer for sale or transport out of the state any freshwater game fish unless specifically permitted by the FWC, except that licensed anglers may transport two days' bag limit of legally harvested game fish.

It is illegal to possess any freshwater fish along with gear that cannot legally be used to take freshwater fish, including gear types listed above and below for taking nongame fish or bait.* An exception is game fish may be possessed together with cast nets having a stretched mesh size not greater than 1 inch; minnow dip nets not more than 4 feet in diameter; minnow seines having a stretched mesh size not greater than 1 inch, a length not more than 20 feet and a depth not more than 4 feet; and minnow traps not more than 24 inches in length and 12 inches in diameter, with a funnel entrance not more than 1 inch in spread.

Black bass, striped bass and white bass or their hybrids, peacock bass, or crappie and panfish (for crappie and panfish, only in waters where minimum-length or slot-size limits for these fish apply) may not be filleted, nor their head or tail fin removed, until you are done fishing for the day.

*NOTE: Statutory provisions of (790.025(3)(h), F.S.) state it is lawful for persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes while fishing, camping, or lawfully hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition. Consequently, although firearms may not be used to take fish, they can be in possession of someone with legally taken fish.

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
Back in 98' when if i first moved to the "Bend" looked out cross the lake and thought i'd died and went ta Heaven. 2 1/4 miles to the Texas side with the main channel(river)1 mile from my backyard! Within a few days i hung 300 hooks(6 trotlines-50 hooks each) along the stump line along the boat row(50yds. wide)in the main channel(river) ON the Texas side. Ran em' the next morning and was through by bout 10 . Had em' stretched out for bout a quarter mile. Had Caught bout a hundred pounds of Channel Cats and a few Blues. Average around 3 pounds...perfect "fileting" size. Got back to the house and showed my neighbor who been a Commercial Fisherman for bout 40 years. Told me i'd better get my "Trotlines" ta hell back across that river cause Texas only allowed 25 Hooks per line! Next morning i ran my Trotlines, loaded em' in the Boat and set them back out on the Louisiana side of the river! I did take a good look around with my Binoculars though before i commenced...ya can see for miles out in the middle of the Lake. Would hated to do it but i'd have cut those "Suckers" and let em' go to tha bottom if i'd seen a Warden! Think i'll keep my "stuff" over here on the "Louisiana" side!