Air Power | SouthernPaddler.com

Air Power

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I am not big into shooting much these days, but I have a RWS .17 cal. air rifle. Got it a few years ago so my grandson and I could shoot more without going to a range, etc. It is so impressive compared to the air rifles I had back in the old days.
Recently shot a few rounds into some old phone books. At 50 yds. with plain Jane Crossmen pointed pellets they penetrated over 160 pages. The flat pointed ones only managed about 20 pages. Tried the pointed one at 25 yds. and they shot through the book, 560 pages.
No conclusions or opinions formed. I do not know how the results translate into hunting efficiency or any thing else. Just impressive to me.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I got this one a while back to do some tree rat control ( squirrels ) and it did a great job.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JD, did those phone books you shot cook up tender? I could send you some recipes for phone book casserole, and deer track soup.

Seriously, that outshoots the .177 Benjamin that I had as a kid. It was good for sparrows and starlings, but didn’t drop pigeons. I couldn’t get pointed pellets, on,y blunts were available. They have the ballistical coefficient of a brick.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bee, with that Diana, I got almost a complete pass-through on two good sized coons. they didn't go far. An adult coon is a fair sized animal. I also shot 5 skunks, one behind the other, coming single file down a trail. At one of our Lead Flings, we were shooting at a metal gong at 100 yards and hitting it fairly often. After we stopped, one of the guys came up and said "Hold out your hand." I did, and he dropped several of my flattened pellets into my palm. Flattened out like a dime......from 100 yards. It's not your daddy's bb gun.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Jack, I did not attempt to cook them. They were too old, and dried out. New ones would not work for shooting or eating.
Too thin for shooting and too many advertisements to stomach for eating.
I had a .22 cal, that seemed to have more power than the .17's. It was powered by those little CO-2 tanks. Quicker to reload than my buddies pump but the tanks were not sold every where, had to be changed out often and if you used them up you were out of business.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack...

These new air rifles are not the ones we had as Kids. I still have my old one ( 22 ) and even a newer one ( 177 ) . The good old pump that sucker up.

This new break barrel , The Nitro Piston™ 2 system in the Benjamin Trail NP2 generates high velocity (up to 1,200 fps with the .22 , up to 1,400 fps with the .177 ) and power (26 ft.-lbs. of energy with the .22 ) ( 21 ft.-lbs. with the .177),
Compare them to the 9MM round which travels at 1,500 fps. the foot pounds of the 9MM , depending on the type of bullet is 366 to 399.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Pretty amazing... similar ballistics to my 45 ACP. The Corp of Discovery were ahead of their time!