Advice on Pirogue Length | SouthernPaddler.com

Advice on Pirogue Length

PascMS

Sep 9, 2011
Hi, I just purchased the UJ Pirogue kit. I plan on using this pirogue to get around in the swamp and marsh. I have a 12 year old son and a 14 year old daughter that might go with me some time. There will be no more than two of us in the boat at a time. Most of the time, I will probably be by myself. I will likely put the boat in the back of my truck to take to the swamp most of the time. Does anyone with experience with these boats have a recommendation on the length? I do not know if I should go with the 15' + length or go smaller. I weigh about 200 and my kids are about 100. I plan on using it to get to those hard to reach places in the swamp. I plan to hunt with this pirogue. Thank you for any advice.

PascMS

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
For your 1st build go with the recommended length that Uncle John tells you........ 15 1/2. This way you will know how to build the Pirogue since you and bet your Son and Daughter will want on for there use later on.

The 15 1/2 will work as a solo boat or as a tandem after it is built. One thing I will tell you and it is a ..........FACT OF LIFE..........After you get yours made you will end up building one for both your Son and Daughter , might ever toss the Wife in that equation , especially if you take her out for a paddle on the water.

The up side is that they are easy to make and a lot of fun to be in on the water. With some luck you might be able to keep the one you made for your use. My youngest daughter wanted the one ( stripper ) I made to Canada with her along with a kayak I made....:Dviewtopic.php?f=10&t=7884.... Yep out of the 6 or more of them I have made I still have one for my use..... A nice standard ( run of the mill) Uncle John 30 pound one at 15 1/2 feet. Not like the strip[per I made to prove they could be made that way which is in Canada and not Florida , anymore..

They do tend to disappear quicker the potato chips and cold ice tea on a hot summers day....One Is Not Enough.......