A Paper Mache Canoe. | SouthernPaddler.com

A Paper Mache Canoe.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I wondered how he removed the shell from the mold without cutting the shell. Frankly, I didn’t watch the whole skit.
Nope you did not watch the whole thing , especially the 1st of it.
He covered his canoe with a plastic tarp which became the release item for the paper hull ( From his canoe which was the mold ) after it was glassed on the outside.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I saw the firm rekease layer. The canoe, when you look at it, dkes not expand in all places. If it did, the paper machevwpuld slip off easily. The sides have some recurve in them. Width at the gunnels is not full beam width.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I wondered how he removed the shell from the mold without cutting the shell. Frankly, I didn’t watch the whole skit.

At the 1:16 mark the sides look petty straight to me. He could of put the curve to them when he attached the two wood rails later on in the build.
It does not go into detailed step by step but just enough of the process to show how and that it can actually be done.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yes, paper is a wood product. One that is susceptible to disintegration whenever it meets water. Paper is not a structural material. Paper houses exist in fairy tales. Paper boats exist in short term imagination.
It is a great experiment in the “gee whiz” department. It’s interesting to read about. I’ve also read about a little bitty airplane with 2 little bitty jet engines. Again, interesting to read about, but not a practical aircraft to use. A novel toy, yes.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack... For some reason I keep thinking you must have an Engineering degree because you always over think things.
A very good friend and a person I had lots of respect for had that degree so I'm extreamly familure with how they think.......My Father.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Maybe, it isn’t over thinking. It’s more like thinking a situation through. Not just partly through, but working toward a condition of completely through. Often, it requires thinking it though several times, in several ways, seeking input from others who have different perspectives, dropping parts that had seemed to make sense, adding new or modified pieces that seem a better fit.

Some people have skills in drawing, or whittling, or cooking, etc. My skills seem to be in astute thinking, being devastatingly handsome, and being humble.

GOTCHA!!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Maybe, it isn’t over thinking. It’s more like thinking a situation through. Not just partly through, but working toward a condition of completely through. Often, it requires thinking it though several times, in several ways, seeking input from others who have different perspectives, dropping parts that had seemed to make sense, adding new or modified pieces that seem a better fit.

Some people have skills in drawing, or whittling, or cooking, etc. My skills seem to be in astute thinking, being devastatingly handsome, and being humble.

GOTCHA!!

Well one out of three isn't that bad at 33 1/3 correct for a astute thinker. That rock you sat on ( for the thinker statue ) , didn't it get uncomfortable ? :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
One out of three ain't too bad atall.And, we’re hitting the trail again in the morning. Should be a bit cooler than it was yesterday.

Tonight, I’m going to an evening campfire at a friend’s. One of the guys usually brings his 12 stringer. Along with my stunning good looks, my velvety singing voice will do a good job - of keeping mosquitoes at bay. sigh

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack... Sounds like a really good time. The wife and I are stuck in the house with high humidity and lots of heat outside. O the humidity is at 120% or feels like it should be since it's solid and coming down in droplet form. About the same but worse problem this weekend for Louisana and that area of the Gulf. So much for seeing the full moon and enjoying the outdoors right now.
You must of forgotten I have heard you sing and if anything it attracts mosquitoes , sand gnats , Horse fly's and even responces from passing shrimp boats air hornes. Up noth I understand it love sick Moose since there aren't any shrimp boats that far inland. .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The moose have abandoned me. But semis and freight trains have taken up the slack. One time on the river, an ore boat on its way from Duluth, down to the St. Lawrence Seaway wandered througn camp. BOY! Is their air horn ever loud!