A learning experience on The Hiawasee | SouthernPaddler.com

A learning experience on The Hiawasee

JBrown

Nov 23, 2009
Hi
i am new to the forum . I have been reading a lot of your reports so I decided to jump in.
I took my canoe down lower Hiawasee river here in est Tennessee. It was a great day. Not to hot and partly cloudy. My plan was to put in at the ramp on hi way 411. and paddle down to the ramp in Charleston Tn. The trip is 23 1/2 miles.
I relay did not consider this to be a long trip. I was wrong. I ran out of daylight. I barley made it in before dark.
Lesson 1. Start earlier. Maybe pick a shorter trip next time.
Lesson 2. I need a smaller boat. My 20 footer is just a bit much for one man.
Lesson 3. I need to get out on the watter more.

you can check out the pics I took at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v196/ ... /?start=20

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Hummm, I have been trying to think of a nice way to state my reply. Perhaps just some bullet points will do.

1. 23.5 miles is at least a three day trip.

2. Correct 20 ft is a bit long but better than nothing.

3. More time on the water is ALWAYS a good thing.

4. Wood is always better than metal. [but metal is better than nothing]]

5. Always post trip dates on the board prior to the trip. Ya never know when someone might be available to go with.

6. That be a mighty fine looking river. Any fish in it?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress said:
Hummm, I have been trying to think of a nice way to state my reply. Perhaps just some bullet points will do.

1. 23.5 miles is at least a three day trip.

23.5 miles could be a three day trip but a 4 or 5 day trip with 4 nights on the river is even better. Allows a two night lay over in one camping spot. :D

Chuck.