1st Build | SouthernPaddler.com

1st Build

rngrbill

Mar 26, 2011
Hey everyone, well finally got home on my 2 weeks R&R leave and just about done with my first build. It at least looks like a boat, which surprised my wife tremendously. I hope to post some picture soon (if I can figure out how to do it). Made out of 5mm underlayment and I ripped all the suports and chines from 1"X4" pine; epoxy in and out with fiberglass at the seams. Simple butt joints on this first one but now I am for sure hooked and already planning the winter project for after the deployment. Since this build was for my grand daughter I had to get her thumbs up and she is tickled pink and very excited to get it wet and slimed. I hope to give it the first float on Friday before heading back over the pond. Really just wanted to thank everyone here for the encouragement and a big shout out to Kayak Jack for all the emails. Great to know the folks back home are still thinking of us.

PS: I did get to see my middle girl get her diploma too so the trip was worth the 22 hours of airplane time.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good on ya, Bill. Welcome home, and thanks for your service.
My canoe is both for me and Katie, my Granddaughter - it's named the Katie Big after her. Linking with kids on an activity is GREAT! (Kind of an excuse for letting out our Little Boy to play.)