1770 Birth of Queensland | SouthernPaddler.com

1770 Birth of Queensland

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

This is the second place Lt Commander James Cook in Her Magesties Barque "Endeavour" landed on Australian soil during is voyage of discovery up our East Cost in 1770. The small town that now sits on the inlet of Round Hill Creek bears the unusual name of 1770 on honour of the great man and his epic voyage.

04272d54.jpg

413b5cf4.jpg

28c835b8.jpg

afebd3b2.jpg

Steve

Mick, the folks in charge of Australia's tourism pamphlets need to talk to you and Robin....... yer posts on here are a whole lot more informative and lots better looking......... Great job. . . droppin' coins in da piggy bank for 2 tickets to Queensland.............. I'll get dare somehow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One day. . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Truthful Jack sailed with Capt. Cook. I didnt see nuthin' bout him in there. Mebbe he wuz takin' a practice nap when the Captain went ashore? [chuckle] I like that sunset pichur....near bout felt it.

regards
bearridge

At the end of a century that has seen the evils of communism, Nazism and other modern tyrannies, the impulse to centralize power remains amazingly persistent. Joseph Sobran

Steve

Me tinks dat Truthful Jack war takin' dat practise nap when de Endeavor left its port. . . thereby naught on board der ship a'tall. . . 8)

Now let Aussie World's best publicist go on here wit'out a hiJACKin'. . . . . . :D (Yeah, Chuck, I stole it from ya's. . . I like it. . . :lol: )

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
VERY nice, Mick. I'll bet the Cap'n was pretty surprised to go ashore and see a pink kayak!

Someone on here wanted some Aussie history; this may help them.

I wasn't napping while the Cap'n was ashore. I was being keel hauled.

dawallace45

Mick is in my neck of the woods now , 1770 is only about 30 minutes or so down the road from me

To me it's one of the most interesting and beautiful areas up or down the coast

Mick , it's a pity you don't have a 4x4 , if you did then you could get in and paddle Middle creek ,

When the new kayaks are finished , middle creek and also deepwater creek are the first ones on my agenda

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

The towns of 1770 and Agnes Water are very special. I haven't been back there in over 10 years but will be making the journey much more often. I am still uploading images and will try to do a proper trip report in the next few hours.

We are busy packing again for a few more days back at the Blackall Ranges, (heading off in the morning) May 4th is our 13th wedding anniversary, so we are trying for something nice and romantic this time 8) :p but will still get a little paddling in if this beautiful weather holds.

Dave,

Sorry we didn't get a chance to call in, but we were a little pushed for time both ways. Been to Deepwater and Eurimbular and Middle Creek mate. I hear you loud and clear. :D Eurimbula and Middle Creek are easily within paddling distance for me so all is not lost. :D

Steve

Mick, Robin. . .with the time difference and the fact you're ahead of me by a day I am a bit early . . .but. . .Lemme just wish you and Robin a very happy 13th anniversary from Susie and I, my friend. . . Congratulations. . . May there be many many more for you in hte years to come. . .

This thread is proof of how to have a successful marriage. . .