12' strip kayak with no plans | SouthernPaddler.com

12' strip kayak with no plans

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I am taking my idea off the hull of the Old Town Vapor 12XT Angler.
I started by going to the local Bass Pro Shop and taking some pics. and getting some measurments.
Then off the Old Town web site I traced these pics. and scaled it to an inch to a foot.
tn_PIC_1462.jpg

Then transfered the frame lines to pcs. of 1/4'' ply. and then made the frames off these.
tn_PIC_1464.jpg

tn_PIC_1487.jpg

tn_PIC_1469.jpg

I used 3/8'' baltic birch ply. for the stem.
tn_PIC_1493.jpg

Here is my cedar wood sorce..old fence pickets.
tn_PIC_1429.jpg

I ripped the pickets into 1'' wide strips then into 1/4'' thick strips.
tn_PIC_1430.jpg

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I took a pic. of the 10' version.
tn_PIC_1411.jpg

This is what I have so far.
I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into designing strip type hulls and all the tweaking and getting the bugs worked out of a design before the forms are perfect. And the sequence of laying the strips down when it gets tighter toward the bow. I have worked myself into a corner "so-to-speak" and using a steam iron to bend and twist has been necessary. Now it is really tight. Oh well it will have it's own personality and it's just a fishing boat anyway....

tn_PIC_1547.jpg

tn_PIC_1546.jpg

tn_PIC_1548.jpg

tn_PIC_1549.jpg

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
I like what you're doing and how you're doing it. That is to say I am impressed how you have gone about it. You've put a lot of time and effort into re creating a kayak you obviously admire for one reason or another. If I was doing it I don't think I would be advertising that though. I would have just built it and been happy it if all works out. We have all seen plastic kayak shapes we would like to own but built from wood. It might be in your best interests to delete some of the information you have provided. Just my three penn'orth.
Cheers John

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Thanks for the comments guys . This was one challenging project especially using 1'' wide strips. It's a hodge- podge way of laying this hull out but it turned out ok.
Just waiting on epoxy to arrive.
tn_PIC_1564.jpg

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
swampwood I have admired the hull of that boat for some time also the sabalo.
Epoxy started..
tn_PIC_1574.jpg

This is the first time for me making a strip boat, a heck of a lot of work, but super light.
tn_PIC_1585.jpg

40 grit on the sander makes quick work of it..
tn_PIC_1583.jpg

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I was thinking of incorporating a fish finder. I have had this for years..A portable fishin buddy 2..with the side finder capability..I was thinking of mounting the transducer to the transom--somehow so would need to have a splice in the wires with a 2 prong connector.. Incorporate a spot in the dash for the other part of the unit...For local lakes and such.
I toyed with the idea of drilling a hole in the bottom and glassing a tube in that I could slip the unit into,,+ shortening the shaft.. but any shallow obstructions would just nail the transducer, it needs a flip=up mount on it.

tn_PIC_1551.jpg

tn_PIC_1552.jpg

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Here is the spray skirt I want to use, and I stretched it out the best I could to make a ring template, the cockpit opening wil be 17''X 54''.
tn_PIC_1603.jpg

tn_PIC_1604.jpg

tn_PIC_1606.jpg

Here is the seat...
tn_PIC_1602.jpg

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
How necessary are bulkheads in the aid of structural support? I am trying to keep the weight down ,yet I may want to sit on the deck just behind the seat some time, while fishing to have a better angle on the water.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I made one kayak with the forward bulkhead as a frame and not solid so items could be passed threw it. The rear bulkhead was solid but with a door in it so it could be closed with the food behind it to keep critters out of it.

If you plan on sitting on the top of the boat , over the bulkhead I would suggest a solid one for weight and structural support. Or a good frame work ..... A bulkhead with the center removed. You would have to judge on how much to remove due to your weight and the structural integrity of that part of the boat.

I'm sure others on here will have a better suggestion............

Chuck........

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Thanks Chuck.. I was wondering because strip canoes only have the down force of the seat pulling on the gunnel's.
Whereas my situation it would push out on the sides. I guess one should think of it as a truss configuration,verses just rafters with no cross ties (ie joists)...

I'm not a carpenter but I have done my share of (my own stuff).
Just another life long cabinet maker.....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Any support when it is in question is better then none. We spend to much time to make our boats the way we want them to have a last minute problem when using them. Just something to spread the load out , to equalize the weight , not saying you have a load to spread out. :D :oops:

Just thinking of myself at 210 and what I would do if that beautiful boat of yours was one of mine.

Chuck.